DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So being on a budget I was looking for some affordable options for sound deadener. I found these:

JC Whitney (Yes! JC Whitney) here: HushMat ULTRA SILVER VIBRATION DAMPING FLOOR/DASH KIT - JCWhitney

JC actually has quite a few variations. And bonus if I order before tomorrow night I have a 20% off coupon.

Eastwood: Eastwood Thermo-Coustic Sound Deadener Material

And also b-quiet.com

Does anyone have any info on these products? Any good? The Ultimate stuff from b-quiet looks promising. In my current install I tried using the asphalt roof repair stuff with the aluminum backing from Lowes but it didn't seem to work all that well. Although admittedly I could have done a better job on the doors and I did not do the roof.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
18 Posts
You could try eDead i managed to get 200sq feet on ebay for $100 a while ago. I'm not sure if deals like that still come up but i don't doubt it.

From what i understand the only differences between the brands are the thickness and density of the stuff you buy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could try eDead i managed to get 200sq feet on ebay for $100 a while ago. I'm not sure if deals like that still come up but i don't doubt it.

From what i understand the only differences between the brands are the thickness and density of the stuff you buy.
Thanks for the info. I just checked and the current price is $200 for 240 sq ft. I think that's the least expensive per sq ft I've seen. It's their "45" version which I assume is the thinnest, I need to check.

Michael

·
Registered
545 Posts
i would not buy the edead foil based deadener at all! its incredibly thin and it would not be worth your time or money to install it. i do have their edead v3 which is a liquid paintable deadener. a gallon is only $50 i believe and it covers a wide area.

·
Online Consultant
349 Posts
Hushmat - Depending on the product, some contain asphalt as the bulk of the adhesive. Their butyl based mat's biggest downside is the thin foil.

Eastwood's - Haven't used it. Honestly don't see it as a budget product since it is more expensive than some of the other butyl CLD mats available.

Oops, forgot about B-Quiet...
B-Quiet Ultimate - Butyl based (has some filler in it), thin foil.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just get RAAMat. Better product and you can use less of it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The Best bang for the buck - Sound Deadener Showdown. Period.
negative, but nice try. Do you get paid by them? He's actually really expensive. Use other products but follow his methods and pay less. $7 a sq ft for deadener? i dont think so.

·
Registered
545 Posts
negative, but nice try. Do you get paid by them? He's actually really expensive. Use other products but follow his methods and pay less. $7 a sq ft for deadener? i dont think so.
have you thought of cost compared to effectiveness? i have roughly 10 tiles from sound deadener showdown (5 per door). for what my memory recalls, tiles are ~$2.45 each. so 10 would be ~$25. 25 bones for two dead doors is pretty good if you ask me. you order the $1/sqft edead stuff on ebay, but i tell you i have some of that and it is laugh out loud thin and flimsy. i have used others like the edeadv3 liquid deadener like i mentioned before and i would recommend. i have not used many other deadeners, but dont knock sound deadener showdown cause you think it is over priced.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just get RAAMat. Better product and you can use less of it.
Good choice, worth considering for sure.

Compare products on butyl thickness and foil thickness and of course price, and you will find that RAAMmat BXT ll is the best bang for the buck. But do your own quick research.....;)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
have you thought of cost compared to effectiveness? i have roughly 10 tiles from sound deadener showdown (5 per door). for what my memory recalls, tiles are ~$2.45 each. so 10 would be ~$25. 25 bones for two dead doors is pretty good if you ask me. you order the $1/sqft edead stuff on ebay, but i tell you i have some of that and it is laugh out loud thin and flimsy. i have used others like the edeadv3 liquid deadener like i mentioned before and i would recommend. i have not used many other deadeners, but dont knock sound deadener showdown cause you think it is over priced.
you can get the same deadener style (aluminum foil backed 80 mills total) and cut it into tiles yourself and save a few more bones. I wasn't saying its bad stuff, you just end up paying for someone else to cut apart your deadener into tiles. and i do agree that the edead 45 is thin but I've had good results with it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
This place needs a section for install gear badly :( I would spend a lot of time there. That Soundproofcow is a good reference and is much appreciated! The general rule from what I've gathered is you put down your panel deadener (edead, dynamat, RAAMat, Second Skin etc.) Next you put in a constraint layer, this can be foam, jute, etc, after this you need a mass loaded layer which is usually a solid type of rubber. My Camaro was built like this from the factory in a way. It had large sheets of fiberglass material attached to the large panels, jute, then the carpets were backed with a high mass rubber. That's supposed to be the ticket for killing panel vibration, and external noise.

·
Online Consultant
349 Posts
The fact is that when you use a quality CLD mat, less is required. Yes you will pay more per sq. ft. BUT you will use way less to achieve the same results with a cheaper product.

eDead 45 is thin (not really the issue as thickness doesn't play a huge roll in vibration control), has a low quality adhesive core, and has a thin "foil" layer.... if you can call metallized plastic "foil". I think the only good thing that can be said about eDead is that it does conform well to uneven surfaces, but thats because the "foil" layer on the product is as thin as can be.

So hypothetically speaking, lets say you want to do your two front doors. Square footage calculated is around 8 sq. ft. per door, so 16 sq. ft. of surface area to tackle both doors.
With a quality CLD mat as little as 25% coverage will be needed, so about 4 sq. ft. of material needs to be purchased, so thats about 10 (9.6 to be exact) CLD tiles from Don for a total purchase price of $24.50 + shipping.

With a product that isn't a true CLD much more product is needed (typically around 75%-100% coverage). So comparing the CLD tiles to something similar (eDead 80), and covering 75% of the panel (12 sq. ft.). At $2.00 a sq. ft., you will be spending $24.00 + shipping. And at 75% coverage, that still may not achieve the same results of covering the panels with the a proper CLD mat/tile.

So are you really saving anything?

This place needs a section for install gear badly :( I would spend a lot of time there. That Soundproofcow is a good reference and is much appreciated! The general rule from what I've gathered is you put down your panel deadener (edead, dynamat, RAAMat, Second Skin etc.) Next you put in a constraint layer, this can be foam, jute, etc, after this you need a mass loaded layer which is usually a solid type of rubber. My Camaro was built like this from the factory in a way. It had large sheets of fiberglass material attached to the large panels, jute, then the carpets were backed with a high mass rubber. That's supposed to be the ticket for killing panel vibration, and external noise.
Jute, foam, etc. are not constraint layers as they are not constraining anything.
Dynamat, Damplifier, SDS Tiles, etc. are constraint layer dampers.
Then you have similar "vibration mats" and depending on their formulation, are mass loaders. Old technology.

Jute/foam are typically seen as decouplers for "floating" MLV or even noise filters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I really appreciate your input Jon its very informative and makes me all the more proud that I am saving my time and money by going with SS in the near future. I noticed a huge differance in my wifes trunk lid and spoiler and I didnt even have as much material as I would have liked to. I think when I get enough money together I will get a little extra to go over that spoiler a little more. It completely reduced any vibrations heard within the cabin "sighs of relief" but there is still a little heard when standing within 5 ft of the trunk lid. All in all WELL worth the few extra up front cost or price per sq. ft. I have it posted in the SS forums if any of you would like to check out how little I used.

08 chevy cobalt project - Second Skin Forums

and before you start claiming , I am not sponsored or paid by SS in any way shape or form. Just my honest opinion on the product and its effectiveness.

·
Registered
393 Posts
OK so the tacky asphalt/butyl/fiberglass pads are the constraint layer, the jute, or foam used to "float" mass loaded vinyl, or whatever other thick rubber is used? Therefore the jute or foam is the decoupling layer (panel applied product constrains sound, decouple layer decouples constraint layer from top layer, top layer is the final sound deadener usually MLV, are there others?) I've read the "budget sound deadener" website that sells the tiles and such, but I get lost in the abbreviations. I understand the concept just don't quite have the language down.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts