DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have a '81 300CD Mercedes Benz (diesel) which I'd like to put a sound system in. It's my old beater/winter car and I'm not looking to spend too much. It's not worth it for me and the car is really noisy anyway. I'm all for SQ and quality, I just think this is not the right car for it. I'm also trying to use as much stuff as I have.

Currently the car has an OE HU, which I modified with an iPod input (goes through the cassette deck) and a pair of aftermarket 4" speaker in the dash.

What I have:
  • Alpine 9847 HU
  • MTX Thunder 8000 10" (dual 4 ohm coils) Sub
  • Sony XS-L122P5 Sub
  • Autotek SX-4160 Amp
  • Hifonics BX1000D Amp
  • Alpine 3544 Amp (currently repairing due to a damaged transistor)
So my thoughts are:
  • Alpine 9847 HU
  • Autotek Amp
  • Sony Sub
  • and 6.5" components up front in the doors...
Please any advice/recommendations for system and 6.5" components (new/used), budget <$70

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 83 300cd turbo diesel!, solid car!! Those trunks f sealed pretty well, had to remove the first aid kid to vent the trunk into cabin, as was sealed and rattled like crazy but wasn't even decent inside,!. Go with the mtx 7000 ported if possible

·
Registered
77 Posts
You cab usually find a set of pioneer or phoenix gold comps on eBay for around that range , as for new speakers in that range, there's alot out there;but mostly lower end

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes those rsd's are the ticket for price! Out of the three,I would say cadence ,and then pioneer .Stay away from the power acoustic, very shrill pawn shop sound,lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is my intention for placing the speakers in the doors, just unsure of the tweeter location... in my BMW I have speakers in the kicks and tweeters cross-firing across the windshield from the a-pillars.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now I'm rethinking using components, whether it's really worth it versus using coax speakers. Originally the car had 3.5" speakers in the dash (pointing straight up at the windshield). There isn't anyway of fitting larger speakers in that location... I thought about the kicks, but they are very shallow and the e-brake would interfere. Probably would require making custom fiberglass kick panels.

What the interior looks like in a 300CD:

So we are left with the doors, good choice, I dunno... Would coaxial speakers work well in this location? Any recommendations for coax speakers?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts