DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know nothing about subs or audio in general but am looking to put some subs in a 1998 honda civic lx. A friend will help me with the install. I listen to 60% hard rock, 40% quasi-dubstep type stuff. I don't use the trunk much so size isn't a huge issue. Headunit is a Pioneer 5200hd.

Budget around $200-220

Does anybody on ebay or the internet have any decent quality kits(subs mounted in box, wiring, amp) for this price range?

Or if not.....can somebody throw some suggestions out for any hot deals they heard of?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
If you are willing to do some in depth searching you should be able to find a used BP300.1 or something similar on ebay or possibly here for quite cheap. I've seen them go for less than $80 bucks shipped at times. A single decent 12" sub to run off that amp can go for around $60 BNIB shipped. The remainder you can put towards an okay to use wiring kit & box to fit the sub from sonicelectronix. That's about as good as it gets.

You might be able to go a bit cheaper on the amp by bridging a modest sized used 2 channel amp. Problem with that is efficiency and flexibility won't be that great, but for $200 bucks what else can you ask for?! Check the classifieds here and see what there is to offer...

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
You might as well go used if your budget is that tight. Better off to get used common brand than new junk brand. I bought some used subs to test amps on and they worked out fine, though speakers are not something I'd commonly buy used. I ran one in the car for a while, fished them off ebay cheap but ebay is not near as busy as it used to be with used. You can scope out pawn shops in your area and try to make a deal, some of them will deal if they want to move stuff. There is one here that sells tons of stuff, a lot of them that don't with high prices. Craigslist is another source, and so on.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
2 Infinity Reference 1262W Subs + RE Audio XT-800.2V3 + Kit+Polyfil

everything you need :cool:

Sonic Electronix Exclusive Bass Bundle showcases an RE Audio XT-800.2V3 amplifier along with a pair of 12" Reference series, Infinity Audio subwoofers. This excellent bass package pushes 500 watts of clean, continuous RMS power. The Infinity Reference subwoofers each have a Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coil; meant to be wired together in series/parallel, to a final impedance of 4 Ohms at the bridged impedance. For more information regarding subwoofer wiring, please check out our Subwoofer Wiring Diagram.

These Infinity Reference 1262W 12" Reference series subwoofers require 600 watts of RMS power. The included RE Audio XT-800.2V3 amplifier will compliment this required power by supplying a perfect match-up of certified RMS continuous power. This package also includes a 4 gauge amplifier kit which is perfect to supply power to the amplifier. Also included will be a dual 12" sealed enclosure, this enclosure will come with pre-line Poly-Fil and will be made with durable MDF wood. The sealed design will provide a tighter and quicker responsive bass. With the Infinity Reference subwoofers, RE Audio amplifier, sealed enclosure, and Elite Audio amplifier kit, this bass bundle is great for anyone looking to upgrade their vehicle's audio system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2 Infinity Reference 1262W Subs + RE Audio XT-800.2V3 + Kit+Polyfil[/url]

everything you need :cool:

This is what I was leaning towards before I saw your link....however looks like that is out of stock.

1. Is a sealed box the way to go in my case?

2. Are dual voice coils worth the extra 10 bux?

3. Would I experience a noticeable drop in performance if I went with 2 12 infinity single coils and a different amp....maybe a Boss Audio R1100M Mosfet Monoblock Power Amplifier with Remote Subwoofer Level Control

·
Registered
148 Posts
The only reason a single or dual VC are need is to get the right power out of an amp.

For example, if an amp puts out 1200watts @1 ohm, 600 @2ohm, or 300 @4ohm. to get a 1 ohm load from 2 subs you would need 2 DVC 4 ohm subs with all coils wired in parallel, or 2 2ohm subs (less common).

If you have 4 ohm coils, 2(coils, not speakers) in parallel is 2 ohms, four coils in parallel is 1 ohm

Read this article on series/parallel. This page has a lot of good beginner info.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ended up going with:
- Kenwood Kac-8105D 1000-Watt Class D Mono Amplifier
- (2) Infinity Reference 1260w 12-Inch 1200-watt High-Performance Subwoofer (Single Voice Coil)
- R/T 770 Enclosure Series 12-Inch Dual Sealed Bass Speaker Box
- Sewell 4 Gauge AWG 2000W Amplifier Installation Kit
- polyfill

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is this the best way to wire them up?
http://i40.tinypic.com/2q8nh1z.jpg

I've never hooked up an amp and sub before. I'll have a friend helping but I'd like to ask you guys if there is anything special I need to do to hook this up? I'm assuming there is a 4 ohm output on the amp and I just hook that up to the speakers?

I've heard some people get engine noise running through there amp....what is best to avoid that?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yup, that looks great.

As far as alternator noise, just make sure all of your grounding points are free of paint and oxidation. Not only where you connect the amp, but under the hood also.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks Cancerkazoo

So how does it all break down? I'm a complete noob.

Am I giving each sub 250W?
Yes, if the subs are 4 ohm SVC wired like your picture, you will have a 2 ohm load and 500w.

One quick and dirty way of setting your gain correctly involves a easy formula involving the load and watts and setting the amp output to certin voltage while playing a 60hz tone recorded at 0dB.

http://www.thesuicidaleggroll.com/gain.htm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts