DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, looking for some suggestions. Potentially looking to put a budget/simple system into my wifes "new" car.

Looking for suggestions for a 6.5 2 way set and a 6.5 coax set. The rear deck has an 8" sub, but I'm looking at possibly putting a 10" in the trunk that will take a small sealed enclosure. Would prefer a 5 channel amp that could power all of these.

6.5 2 way comps - suggestions needed
6.5 coax - suggestions needed
Hoping to find these for around $200

5 channel amp I found that looks good is

Kicker 42IQ1000.5
Q-Class 5-channel car amplifier with digital signal processing — 125 watts RMS x 4 + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

This appears to be a great plug and play solution allowing her to keep her stock HU. Other suggestions are welcome. Not completely against a separate DSP and amp, but financially this seems to make sense along with the small footprint.

Subs I was looking at the Dayton Audio subs...

Or saw this AF on sale...

With an enclosure like this

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
The ultimate small sealed sub of the HO series are the single coil 10" & 12". Both of those work damn good in .35 cubes while the 10" can go even a tad smaller, but those don't pull 2 ohm impedance from the amp. When you start getting into .5+ cubic feet as the DVC calls for, there may be some equal or better options for less money like the Frogs on sale.

As far as front & rear speakers for $200... you might be looking at JBL closeouts that can be had on Ebay. I like the GX series for cost value. Personally I'd skip upgrading the rears and put the money into a better comp set for the front since they'll be toting most of the load in providing sound. The stock rears can just fill in some albeit it should be properly processed to be actual rear fill. Still, we're talking simple upgrade so that is a bit moot.

As far as the amp... decent product, but honestly I think you could do just as good on amplification, but a heck of a lot better on DSP capability by using a separate 5 channel amp and Dayton DSP albeit it will require a little more wiring. Not to mention... less expensive considering the price of $749 for the Kicker. Even if paying $200 for the Dayton, that leaves $550 for an amp. I think that can be beat or met for less.. Kenwood Excelon for about $200 less is just one... 15 watt difference on the front channels won't be audible.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^ Great advice. The smaller the sealed box for the sub the better. It doesn't need to be .5 cf or above I just don't know what options I have for budget subs.

I figured the Dayton DSP would be brought into the convo so I will definitely consider it.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
The AF sub sub you linked would be an obvious first choice. The recommended box of .6 sealed is quite reasonable considering the mid Q nature of the sub. You don't want to get into subs that can go in a super small box like I mentioned of the HO single coil subs because you start to sacrifice efficiency or low frequency output... Hoffman's Iron Law. The AF is a good compromise and dang good price.. half of the Dayton dual 4. I think it's going to be hard to beat that deal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree about the AF clearance sub. I was just hoping to find something different as I am/will be running an AF GB12 once I get an issue fixed with either the amp/wiring. Was hoping to try something new and since it is my wifes ride it doesn't matter haha.

The Dayton DSP really opens up a lot of options on amps as you were saying. Here is what I've found and can't really determine what I should go with. Any input?

I'm guessing the excelon is just the higher quality amp for Kenwood hence the price difference. All of these have pretty similar specs but unsure of "quality" put out by these brands. Have read great things for the price about NVX. Gladen and the Excelon are much more expensive and I'm not sure if it would be a noticeable difference. Dumb question, but can these 5 channel amps be run with 2 different ohm loads? Such as channels 1-4 at 4ohm and have the sub channel run at 2ohm?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
That NVX looks like the best solid deal in your list! Personally, I'd give it a shot and would also consider the NVX V series speakers.

OAN, which stock stereo option does the car have?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That NVX looks like the best solid deal in your list! Personally, I'd give it a shot and would also consider the NVX V series speakers.

OAN, which stock stereo option does the car have?

It's single cd/tape player without NAV and without Mark Levinson sound.

Can that NVX run the front 4 channels at 4ohm and the sub at 2ohm? 2ohm for the front channels really limits my options.

Thanks for all your help brother.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's single cd/tape player without NAV and without Mark Levinson sound.

Can that NVX run the front 4 channels at 4ohm and the sub at 2ohm? 2ohm for the front channels really limits my options.

Thanks for all your help brother.
Yes that amp can run just the sub at 2 ohm if you want. That's how most people run them

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Didn't pull the trigger quick enough on the AF 10". I'm an idiot. Going to be hard to find a sub that nice for $100.

Is the Dayton HO DVC now my best option for the price?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts