DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am finally ready to start on my next project, but I need some design help before I start. I am almost finished rebuilding my 79 Chevy 1 ton regular cab truck, that being said it is time to start on the system. I have been acquiring the equipment over time and I am going with a full old school system. Because it is a regular cab truck and I intent to use the area behind the seat for equipment I want to fit all the speakers into a custom built dash including a 15" subwoofer. The speaker line-up is all Eric Stevens era Image Dynamics, a pair of full size horns, a pair of IDQ-8s and a single IDQ-15. This is the part where I need help and no its not mental help for trying to squeeze a 15" sub into the dash. I want to place the horns in the dash above the height of the steering column, and the sub center in the dash. What I am not sure of is where to place the 8s, should i put them on axis, off axis or fire them off the windshield. I have the same question with regards to mounting the sub because I may chose to run the sub into the midbass range to anchor the center stage. Some of the answers on the sub may be dictated by space, but this is more of a theoretical question. What I want to know is if there was no limits on where the equipment I have will fit, how would you do it and why. I want to keep the dash design simple and classic, something that looks like it belongs in a classic truck so there may be some use of grilles to hide things.

the factory dash
0912cct_01_z+1973_1978_chevy_c10s_tilt_steering_column_install+custom_dash.jpg

a custom dash from the same era truck
0505_34z+1985_chevrolet_c10_custom+dashboard_view.jpg

a picture of gary biggs dash, because I like the style he used very simple and clean
DSCF0364.jpg

The actual truck after paint
DSC00063.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow nobody in here has built their own dash before

·
Registered
114 Posts
You want to integrate a 15" sub into the dash? WHY? The second pic you posted looks great, stick with something like that and lose the monster dash sub.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
For reference, I am struggling to find space for a 12" in my custom dash. I can't even imagine a 15". Its not just the box size, its the physical size of the driver. The fact that I am using a relatively high sensitivity sub does not help with box size, but the driver size itself is causing more issues.

Things get easier is you don't need A/C or heat. But at that point, you have a trailer queen IMO.

If you notice, and for good reason, most dash installs are 10" at most some are 8".

·
Registered
866 Posts
Having the sub fire into the lower firewall usually sounds best
Also, I would do the 8's in the firewall floorboard.
If u don't intend to run wipers, there is PRIME real-estate there

·
Registered
510 Posts
Having the sub fire into the lower firewall usually sounds best
Also, I would do the 8's in the firewall floorboard.
If u don't intend to run wipers, there is PRIME real-estate there
that could give me ideas for the distant future. i hardly ever run them. isn't that what rain-x is for? i use the wipers most in winter for getting the half-melted ice off. warmer climate and i wouldn't need them at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts