DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am going to build a couple of fiberglass enclosures for the Tiida´s trunk´s corners (here at Mexico the Versas are called Tiidas), I am gonna use a couple of MTX MZS1004 (10") Subwoofers (one at each corner). MTX´s manual specifies that a sealed enclosure is better for this subs, but because I am going to start building custom fiberglass enclosures as a business, I would like to build mine ported in order to show off a little bit, but the big question is, should I just take the MTX´s recommended ported enclosure volume and port size, build a fiberglass enclosure with the same volume and attach a MDF port with the measurements specified by MTX? let´s say, with screws? I think some more dBs are worth it. Or what´s the best way to put a port on a fiberglass enclosure? Its size is an important factor, even though Tiida´s trunk is huge, that space is needed for carry other things. Hope you give me advises soon. Thanks.
tiida cajuela.jpg

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My old car had a fiberglass ported enclosure. Only the back and sides of the enclosure were fiberglass and the front was MDF. You can see the slot port on the right side of the enclosure (its the vertical rectangle immediately right of the 3 polished aluminum logos). The slot port turns so it runs parallel with the face of the enclosure. The MDF face of the enclosure is actually one side of the slot port.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh HIS4, that's a great idea, but, how do you stick both parts together? (i.e. the FG bottom and the MDF top), I've seen how to stick MDF with the sub ring with the fleece and staples method but this is a little bit different. Thank you very much! as soon as I finish this project I'm gonna upload pictures for you all.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Oh HIS4, that's a great idea, but, how do you stick both parts together? (i.e. the FG bottom and the MDF top), I've seen how to stick MDF with the sub ring with the fleece and staples method but this is a little bit different. Thank you very much! as soon as I finish this project I'm gonna upload pictures for you all.
I didn't do this myself so I'm not absolutely sure but I don'recall seeing any fasteners. I think I remember they just fleece wrapped the whole front face and then applied resin over it. I'll have to go back and check if I had progress pictures but I don't think I have any from that far back in the process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts