DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! New to the forums. I work around a lot of tubes and vintage hi-fi gear in the home, and so when I saw this bottlehead, which matches the silver/orange backlit gauges, I had to jump on it. I just made a fairly lucrative deal netting me a little sum, and I decided to not buy a new car after cleaning mine up, and as a compromise I will invest about $2k+~ in a nice SQ system for the car. I love my home hi-fi setup, but I feel like i spend 4x more time in the car then at home now days.

I believe the speakers are 6.5 front, 5.25 back seat, and 6x9 in the way back, but to be honest, every website i check says COMPLETELY different specs, so I may just have to look. I also assume I would need a 6 channel amp, probably 4x50 2x100? I know the mcintosh name real well but not quite familiar with their car audio. If you guys know what works really well with this hu, please suggest some things for me because i'm feeling a little overwhelmed! I'm flexible on the price, too. Let me know! thank you!

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Mcintosh for car carries the same weight as home audio. The rest really depends on how much you are will to modify. Most if not a lot of us here on DIYMA run 8" mids. The rest is personal preference and the only to know what you like is to go out and demo good systems whether it be at local shops or maybe from other DIYMA members in your neck of the woods.

A lot from home audio carries over and a lot does not. Space is the biggest difference as you are limited greatly in a car. Speaker placement is king and sound damping is a must.

Also browsing the member build logs will help greatly so that you can visually see what others members with similar cars are doing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok. I got a bit of a deal on a Mcintosh MC440, so I went ahead and snagged that on an impulse. He offered me the head unit too at a great price, but I like the panny. What can I say, it is unique! I will try and find the member build logs

·
Registered
524 Posts
The Mac speakers are Clarion based. For speakers, listen to as many as you can. There is no other piece of equipement in the car (and install :) would be second) that will have a greater impact on the sound in your car. Two other differences in your car from home stereo: due to the transfer function, you can get much deeper bass easier in your car and secondly, due to road noise, your power requirements will be higher. JPS

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm more of a 2 channel home audio guy too. I've found time alignment/processing to be important in a car whereas it's never talked about in home hi fi.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
I'm more of a 2 channel home audio guy too. I've found time alignment/processing to be important in a car whereas it's never talked about in home hi fi.
That is entirely false. Time has been built into Home receivers for a quite a long time now!!! ALignment

·
Registered
114 Posts
That is entirely false. Time has been built into Home receivers for a quite a long time now!!! ALignment
I was talking about higher end 2 channel stuff, not home theatre receivers. The original poster said he's a vintage/tube guy, so I'm assuming the importance of time alignment in a car would be as new to him as it is to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts