DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 3000GT VR4 1998. Just installed a Kenwood KDC-X595 HU. Replaced door speakers with some cheap Alpine Type S coaxs running off of the stock Infinity amp. Not very much power. Distorts at high volume. Anyways I have a set of Precision Power 355cs 5.25 components sitting in my garage. I would like to use them in the front doors. The stock rear location fits 6x9's. Right now they are running the stock speakers. Might as well replace them as well. Looking for a single 8" or 10" sub in a sealed enclosure for the rear hatch area. The smaller the footprint the better. Alpine Type R or JL W3. Looking for a small 5 channel amp as well. The less equipment the better. Alpine PDX, MRX, the JL xd series 5 channel, but am open to other options.

So $500 or so for an amp, and $250 for a sub. Shoot me some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have read alot on this site and it is mind blowing information. There is alot of it!! But no one is giving me any suggestions.

Am I missing information? During this time reading on this site, I am thinking of going with just the front speakers and a sub. So a 2 channel for the fronts, maybe pushing 100w rms per channel @4ohm. For the sub I am really leaning towards an 8" JL W3. So a mono amp pushing 300-500w rms. Still looking for small amps. I just want it to be small. Not much room in a 3000GT. I would like to keep as much hatchback space as possible.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
how about 1 amp solution, get a 4ch amp and use 1&2 ch for the front stage, and 3&4 for your sub bridge?

I'm sure you want as much space as possible, but also you don't want the care to weight a ton.

Is that car a v6 with twin turbo :) my buddy had one of them and I enjoyed driving it. He started to have way to many problems with it, and he sold it....
I hope yours runs great.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes its a twin turbo, runs like its brandy new. Cost alot to get it there.

Anyways I will be researching my audio setup for a little while longer until I pull the trigger. The component set I have for the fronts can handle 100-150w rms each and maybe 300w rms for a sub. I am thinking of going with 2 8" or will 1 be enough. I don't really know. I don't want teeth shattering bass, but I want everything to sound good. Quality over quantity.

I have heard good things about the type r 8" woofers as well. Whatever woofers I get I will get the same brand amp. I am weird like that. Besides I think JL and Alpine make decent amps. They also make them small. Which I like.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Yes its a twin turbo, runs like its brandy new. Cost alot to get it there.

Anyways I will be researching my audio setup for a little while longer until I pull the trigger. The component set I have for the fronts can handle 100-150w rms each and maybe 300w rms for a sub. I am thinking of going with 2 8" or will 1 be enough. I don't really know. I don't want teeth shattering bass, but I want everything to sound good. Quality over quantity.

I have heard good things about the type r 8" woofers as well. Whatever woofers I get I will get the same brand amp. I am weird like that. Besides I think JL and Alpine make decent amps. They also make them small. Which I like.
Im the same as you are. But when i started to look in to diy more and more i have noticed these hd amps are not that great. Ground noise and heat issues. So i decided to go with Zulki amps and love them. My whole system is based on Morel and love the sound quality.
I may be wrong on the small Alpine amps but i would like to try them myself as well....
My amps are very long 30" long and i would wonder how are the small alpine amps will work and sound.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts