DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

First off, anyone done any work in these new '12 Beetles? Wondering how large of a spacer I'm gonna need for the drivers...

I'm trying to finish up the system in my new car and unfortunately we don't have a lot of access to demo out here in Utah. I've heard some Kenwood, RF T2's, Focals and the stuff Best Buy carries, and that's about all we've got. No JBL, JL Audio, BA, or pretty much any higher end stuff outside of the Focal.

I'm hoping someone can give some input on the 6.5 separates I need to finish this up. I'm running a RF 400.4 that gives 71 rms at 4 ohms, 120 rms at 2 ohms. I'm trying to get the best components in the $200 range, considering Amazon has several $400 to $500 retail sets in this price range. Best SQ and mid-range punch in that area. I have a 10" RF P2 in the back to blend them with.

I used the Polk MM6501's (retail 350, 200 on amazon) in the last car, and they sounded great, maybe a touch harsh on the highs. If there isn't anything better in that price range, I'll go with them again, but I'm hoping to broaden my options. The MB Quart Premium PVI216 are on sale at amazon for 119 vs. 549 retail...so many options that I don't have access to demo!!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
i would say next best option be HAT imagine for $250

or active with raw drivers

·
Registered
464 Posts
massive audio ck6v, probably won't find better midbass in the price range and the tweeter is quite nice as well. slightly bright but not harsh.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a local dealer today that sells HAT. The imagine 6.5's sound pretty good, but I'm worried about them not having a crossover. Should I be? I'm running all 4 sets of cabin speakers off a RF 400.4. Will I have enough flexibility to make these sound as good as possible without a xo?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
They wouldn't be so popular if they weren't selling with everything they need to run. Google them there is explanation of how it works

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They wouldn't be so popular if they weren't selling with everything they need to run. Google them there is explanation of how it works
Sorry, meant to edit that last post. I found the white paper on HAT's site that explains that exact issue. I'm convinced and am hoping to be throwing two pairs of these in tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Sorry, meant to edit that last post. I found the white paper on HAT's site that explains that exact issue. I'm convinced and am hoping to be throwing two pairs of these in tomorrow.
no reason to be sorry. glad u did the research and found it out on your own unlike so many.

let us know your impression!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, Imagines are in. We put a good amount of second skin deamplifier pro in as well. Overall I'm happy with the install...not so much with the sound. From what I've read, it's got to be a matter of tuning, but right now they don't sound near as good as the Polk MM6501's I had in the last vehicle (specifically the mid reproduction). And that was a much worse install job.

They did a general tune on it and said I can tweak it to my liking, but I'm not sure what to do on that. I'll start a new post over in the appropriate forum, but if anyone want's to reply with some input on this one, here are the system details.

Imagine 6.5 components all around
Fosgate Punch 400 doing 74rms at 4ohms
Fosgate Punch 300 running the Fosgate P2SD210 at 2ohms
Kenwood Excelon 995 head unit

I'd like to keep the EQ on the head unit flat so that it sounds right for all types of music, but I'm lost on the slope, db and crossover levels on the deck and crossover/gain/etc on the amps.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
All I gotta says I'd maybe there is a break in. People here love on hat imagines. IMO Polk doesn't get much attention

·
Registered
464 Posts
they should get better with a bit of break-in, as mentioned above. i haven't heard the imagines but with the amount of love they get on this forum, they definitely have to be something pretty special.

i've heard the polk mm6501's and they do have a quite nice midrange imo, and you may just not be fond of the way the imagines sound. that's why there's such a large variety of speakers with very different sounds available. :]

let them break in a bit, and if you want to do some tuning yourself, try starting with an 80hz high pass on the imagines and an 80hz low pass on the sub. i wouldn't go higher than 80hz on the sub because 80hz is on the boundary of being able to localize the sub location, and not lower than 60hz on the imagines because they just can't move enough air to blend with a sub below that, and you risk damaging them at high volumes from exceeding xmax.

don't be afraid to use the eq, either. you say you want to keep it flat, but if it's used right, it should sound fine on any genre of music. try to set it using a reference track.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts