DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase a single amp to run all my speakers/subs that i am installing in my car. I have two 5.25 speakers up front,two 5.25 components installed in between the two front seats(the tweeters for the components will be placed on the door) and and two 4x6's in the back. I will also be running 2 10"inch subs. I was looking at some amps and im very tight on cash. 8ch amps are sorta rare and expensive, so im going to go with the 6 channel. Well here is the retarted question.......................how do i wire all these up? Is it possible for me to wire up, per say, the front left 5.25 and the rear left 4x6 into one channel?? or would that kill my whole music phase/fade. Its a very small car and i dont want more then one amp....help!!!! :confused:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I got an 8 channel ADS. LMK if interested.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Get a six channel amp and run the rear speakers off the head unit. You don't want them competing with the front stage anyway. Most people don't want them at all, but they will do fine with the power from your HU.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get a six channel amp and run the rear speakers off the head unit. You don't want them competing with the front stage anyway. Most people don't want them at all, but they will do fine with the power from your HU.
very good idea!!! What do you mean by competing?? For wattage or is it for the fact that some songs have music that fades from front to the back and so forth.

·
Registered
636 Posts
very good idea!!! What do you mean by competing?? For wattage or is it for the fact that some songs have music that fades from front to the back and so forth.
He means that rear speakers are really unnecessary in a small vehicle, they only pull the sound away from the front and shoot sound into rear passengers' ears.

You say you only want one amp cause your car is small. Then you go on to say you have 3 pairs of speakers. Rethink your setup.

You really only need one pair of speakers in the front. Rear speakers are personal preference. Use them if you want. You can power them off the HU, or get a 5 channel amp. Two channels for front, two for rear, and one for the subs.

Or if you ditch the rears you can get away with a 4 channel amp. Two channels on front and two for subs.

You really don't need two sets of speakers up front. That's only messing things up. You can get louder and cleaner with one set.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He means that rear speakers are really unnecessary in a small vehicle, they only pull the sound away from the front and shoot sound into rear passengers' ears.

You say you only want one amp cause your car is small. Then you go on to say you have 3 pairs of speakers. Rethink your setup.

You really only need one pair of speakers in the front. Rear speakers are personal preference. Use them if you want. You can power them off the HU, or get a 5 channel amp. Two channels for front, two for rear, and one for the subs.

Or if you ditch the rears you can get away with a 4 channel amp. Two channels on front and two for subs.

You really don't need two sets of speakers up front. That's only messing things up. You can get louder and cleaner with one set.
I agree.. only thing is... its a vw cabriolet convertible. When i have the top down, im not getting any reflection from my speakers. I had these sets of speakers for awhile now, so i thought why not just use them. I know ive heard songs where helicoptor blades or f1 racecars that fade from front to the back stage and vise-versa. If i only use one set up front wouldnt that affect the overall quality/experience of the song?? I wanted to add the extra set of 5.25's so that my midbass comes out very well defined. i still have alot to learn when it comes to systems and really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ getting louder and cleaner with one set over 2 isnt correct, 2 sets would get louder and cleaner has nothing to do with how many speakers you use, 2 sets up front will affect staging and imaging
yeah thats for sure.... but if i dont want to alter my staging/imaging can i just wire up both sets of 5.25's up front to 2 channels of the amp?? meaning two speakers to the right channel and two for the left. Ive never seen anyone do this but i think it might be possible. Speakers in the rear give the surround sound feel that i want so i want to keep them in their stock location. i know most people adjust/angle their speakers to the drivers seat, Im basically trying to keep all my music to the center of the car.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Stereo music doesn't fade from front to rear unless something is hooked up wrong. No such thing as "backstage" unless you've got a pass at a concert.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I agree with above, run the rears off the head unit power. If you wire them together with the fronts on your amp, you lose fade control, which means you can't adjust where you are sending signal. If you have the rear speakers powered off the HU, you can simply fade towards them or away from them depending on how loud you want them compared to your amped front channel. This is actually what I am doing in my car right now. It is a little bit more squirrelly to tune than having everything powered on separate channels of an amp, but definitely better than powering them off the same channel as the front stage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts