DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I got some free time these days.. im buying a bulk pack of butyl sheets, ive already done the doors with several layers and amazed over the better response from speakers and sound isolation from the outside.

Now i want to do all i can, starting with floor, roof, firewall, hood, trunk.

I recently lifted the car and knocked on some of the metal and plastic pieces under the car and saw alot of potesial for butyl sheetes, like the tank, pure plastic pieces, plastic over the wheels and the muffler and other related hot metals.

Is there some things i should not put butyl on?

Can i put it on hot metal like the muffler?

Is there any specific running parts i can put it on? Tips tricks?

How much sound deadening materials did u use for ur car? In m2

The goal here is rolls royce silence XD

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
Don't put it on the muffler. These types of vibration dampeners should not be applied on every square inch, they should only be placed in problem areas. If you cover 100%, or worse double layers, you are wasting a ton of material. This material is made to stop the vibrations, it does almost nothing for low frequency road noise. In order to fix road noise you need MLV (mass loaded vinyl).

Vibration dampener should be cut, and applied to specific panels that are flimsy, and vibrate, 30% coverage is usually plenty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok awesome thank you! :) why not muffler? Doesn't it make alot noise or will sound wierd after?xD

Is it more like the butyl stops the sound from the outside vibrating thru, more than its like the butyl is a wall that sound does not travel thru?

Use mlv as sound block walls?
Is it like foam but better? :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
because a muffler gets hot and will melt it, did you do any research here before posting your question,?there are quite a few threads on here with detailed information about applying

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ye that was my other concern thx 👍
Just alittle but not on muffler, thx i will check it out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts