DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

If you received this as an item listed as "NIB" how would you react?

• I'd believe it was NIB, no problem!

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • It might be new, who knows?

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • I'd have a hard time believing this item is brand new.

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • No way that thing is new!

Votes: 17 47.2%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyways, I wanted some feedback. I had a transaction and right now I am fairly peeved at the result, and wanted to see if I am overreacting before I spread the dirty laundry. Item was listed as "NIB". I'll detail issues at each photo. First thing that upset me was the "shipping method" was only the original manufacturer's box was wrapped in kraft paper, not any thicker than regular printer paper. No double box, just a handful of peanuts inside. No plastic wrap. Yes, the kraft paper was torn on delivery. Yes, the original box has dented corners. Yes, I have contacted the seller, and I'll post the PM and reply later if needed.

See the crap on the flap? It's green, and powdery. It looks like mold to me. Seller claims he didn't notice it at all 6 days earlier.

Inside (opposing edge) of same flap.

What appears to have been wet cardboard and dried out. You can start to see delamination.

Under the front flap.

See how it looks smeared in a circle? I don't understand how this could happen if it had never been noticed before.

The "new" knob with a scuff mark from sliding onto the mount.

Corrosion/crap under the edge of the connection cover.

More. I don't understand how this much dust and fuzz could get into, around, and under the cover if it had been closed up in a box for several years.

The junk in the corner looks like it was in there pretty well and brushed out before sending.

Same thing.

I don't know. I haven't had a chance to hook it up and test it yet, but I feel most infuriated because the response basically was, "Sorry you don't like my packaging. I didn't see any mold. Have a day." Original thread pictures were not as clear as mine, and moldy areas in question were conveniently outside of the original picture area. So, please answer the poll and help me out. Thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd be upset, esp since you prob paid a nib(or just more than used) price for a used item. At first I thought you were knit picking but the more I saw the more I realized it's def not nib.

Guy sound's like a douche.

P.s. I HATE when people ship it in the original box, for both protection and the fact that it say's what it is.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What did the screw's @ the terminal's look like?
Bingo...and the screw mounting holes' and the speaker/ power terminals... any signs of previous installation?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I didn't think I was off on my assumptions, but I wanted to make sure I didn't fly off the handle. Here are some other pics:

Under edge of connection cover.

Matching spot on cover.

Paint rubbed off and a small chip.

Other foot.

The terminals do look in good shape, but then again, with a good screwdriver and a little care, that's not all that hard to accomplish. Here's my PM to him, last night:
Swansons Performance said:
The amp arrived today. I was very disappointed with the single-thickness kraft paper wrap, it was torn in several places and since it wasn't double boxed it has some smashed corners as well. More troubling, though, is the appearance of wet cardboard on the bottom of the box, and even more so, there is some kind of mold growing on the box on the left side flaps and under the front flap. This is not something that appeared in the last 6 days, as it was smeared in a kind of semi-circle when I opened the lid, indicating it had been noticed and rubbed before being taped up. I have taken several pictures, I will upload them off of my phone and get them up. Also, you say the amp was new, but there is quite a bit of dust and "stuff" in the corners of some of the fins and under the connection cover. It just seems odd to me that a NIB item would have so much "funk" in it. I have not tested or wired up the amp yet, I just got home a little while ago from the trip down and back to get it. I looked back at the pics in the thread, and the areas where the mold and previously wet cardboard are are clipped off the edges of your photos.

Chris
And his reply:
Less than wonderful seller said:
Sorry you did not like my packaging I do not recall any water damage to the amp or box I never had it close to any water.The dust was from it sitting in the caraudio shop I got the amps from and not having the plastic around it as I stated. The amp and box where in the same shape when I got them new never hooked up,my guy that runs the shop opened them to install but changed his set up in 2009 and I never used that amp the other one is hooked up now.I do not dick people because I buy and sell caraudio on here all the time any damage to the amp or box was done by Fedex less the box damage on the left hand side which was there when I got it.
And no, I did not send the money through Paypal as a gift, and it looks like for good reason! What would you guys expect to settle this out? Convenient how there was no damage or anything wrong with the box or amp when he had it, huh? And why would it have mattered if: " The amp and box where in the same shape when I got them new never hooked up,my guy that runs the shop opened them to install but changed his set up in 2009 and I never used that amp..."??

·
Registered
75 Posts
i would definitely call it "LNIB" but "nib" says that is new, with original packaging, including the bag, or at least a lack of dust build-up. it doesn't look like the mounting hole has been used, though, and could be just fine with a wipe-down/blow out, and would probably not make any difference whatsoever, between this and a brenad new sealed unit, by the time you get it installed. can you see inside through the fuse holder, for dust build-up? do the terminals look new, or un-touched?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I would be furious. Then again, I buy new, from an authorized dealer everytime I purchase electronics.
So I never have these problems :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Def not NIB! It must have been new to the seller, but come on. Besides that it "looks" pretty good. If you keep it I hope it performs without flaws!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Its either New In Box or its used, simple as that. There should be no such term as "LNIB" I hate when people use that.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's not NIB...the blems offset any newness, regardless of how they got there.

He dd not pack it well, so if FedEx banged on it and that is how the blems got there, than that is the sellers fault.

With that said, if there is no mold on the innards and the price was reasonable, I would keep it, but, yes, some refund compensation to make up for the deficiency in quality is not unreasonable.

I recently bought a nice used Eclipse amp on EBay...it was advertised as used but in perfect condition with everything included except manual...when it arrived the terminal screws were missing. Wouldn't be a big deal, except the screws incorporate speaker wire hold-downs, and they are $25 from Eclipse.

I worked out a partial refund with the seller...he was happy, I am happy, and in the end I all worked out.

Be reasonable and give the seller a chance to make it right - unless you really need a NIB amp, in which case I think a full refund and item return to the seller is not unreasonable.

Did you by chance use PayPal and NOT send the money as a gift?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts