DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations for the front door speakers in a C6 corvette. The factory speaker is a 8" with a 10' opening in the door.

I've read posts on the web that complain about a significant reduction on bass with 6-1/2" speakers that fit the available speaker adapters, but I'm able to make my adapters myself if necessary.

For 6-1/2" speakers, I'm looking at the Audison AV6 or Hertz 165 XL that I've found online at an elevated price.

What are your thoughts on the two I've mentioned? Are there other 6-1/2" speakers superior to these two? Has anyone tried the Dynaudio MW172? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Dyns are great, overall. If you want to go 2-way, a great solid midbass can work well in there with some good door treatment. You could go with the Morel 9", or Stereo Integrity TM65s (mkII or mkII), I am sure a bunch here will probably recommend some Audiofrog offerings, I'm not overly familiar with those...

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
There is a lot more than throwing a speaker in if your looking for great sq. Are you going active? Ever used a dsp? Are you gonna use the factory headunit? Budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a lot more than throwing a speaker in if your looking for great sq. Are you going active? Ever used a dsp? Are you gonna use the factory headunit? Budget?

I’ll be using a active 3 way and would like to keep the speaker budget to $1k.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am upgrading from the C5 FRC to the C6. Stereo Integrity TM65mkII, Audiofrog GB25 and Audiofrog GB10, Mosconi amps, Helix DSP.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I am upgrading from the C5 FRC to the C6. Stereo Integrity TM65mkII, Audiofrog GB25 and Audiofrog GB10, Mosconi amps, Helix DSP.
Where do you plan to install all your amps and dsp? I'm about to do an install on my c6z and I'm still on the fence if I want to add so much audio equipment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone with direct experience in a c6 corvette with the Dynaudio MW172, AD 800neo or the 6-1/2” mentioned?

Where would one purchase the 800neo in the USA?

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I ran ZR800CW's in a C5, glorious setup. Since they are made of unobtanium right now, I think the AD 800 Neo is a great secondary option. Maybe finish it off with an Audiofrog GB combo. I made simple pillars in the C5 that housed SEAS tweets, but AF wasn't out then or otherwise I would have used them. Mids for me were Fountek FR89EX in small sealed pods that also made up the door baffle to the ZR. Again, AF would be the go-to for higher budgets.

edit: I see your budget post there and this setup above might go over it. Any thoughts on using Stevens MB8, his mid, and his awesome tweeter from the SA6 component set? That might get there.

I'll defer to other folks to suggest where to buy AD equipment, but I do have the 600W's and I do think they are fantastic, so I'm sure you'd be happy w/ the neo. Maybe toss a WTB ad out and see what bites.

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Where do you plan to install all your amps and dsp? I'm about to do an install on my c6z and I'm still on the fence if I want to add so much audio equipment.

Maybe look at a vxi amp for a simple all in one local shop here where a friend installs says they can be made to sound pretty damn good

·
Registered
60 Posts
Running 2 Mosconi AS200.4s and Zapco DSP. Pic shows the old Mosconi controller. I'm process of switching mid and tweets. Dyne MW172s, Audiofrog GB25s in upper stock location (modified), Dyne MD102s in pillars. In the process of making new pillars for GB10s.
I'm very happy with the MW172s, that's' why they are staying in. Selling the MD102s and MD142s.
The speaker in the stock upper location sits back about 2" from the door panel. It works, but it is not ideal.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Running 2 Mosconi AS200.4s and Zapco DSP. Pic shows the old Mosconi controller. I'm process of switching mid and tweets. Dyne MW172s, Audiofrog GB25s in upper stock location (modified), Dyne MD102s in pillars. In the process of making new pillars for GB10s.
I'm very happy with the MW172s, that's' why they are staying in. Selling the MD102s and MD142s.
The speaker in the stock upper location sits back about 2" from the door panel. It works, but it is not ideal.
How is the clearance for the MW172s? What thickness did you use for the adapters?

·
Registered
60 Posts
How is the clearance for the MW172s? What thickness did you use for the adapters?
Not sure, I had them installed a couple years back. I just had the panels off last week though. The black adapter plate is .187 thick abs but there are also MDF rings in there. If you don't position the midbass directly on center, I know you can move it toward the door panel much further. It sits back from the face of the door panel about an inch. Inside of the panel needs to be trimmed in order to move it out further.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts