DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am concerned about water damage to CA 18's if used in-door. I have an old (like 20years) 6.5" alphasonic sub mounted in one door of my MR2 and after a couple of seasons I can see water stains on the bottom of it. I live in Canada, so I suppose condensation is a real issue in the winter as well as the usual rain in the warm months. Anyone have any experience in this regard?

I am wondering if aluminum coned drivers are a better choice for door use? I'm considering the LA18 or RS180, but would prefer the broader bandwidth of the CA18.

·
Seen Rock City
732 Posts
I dunno if aluminum is "better" for in-door installs, but I would have to agree that it is the better option if you have a moisture problem.

The CA's are coated though. I would imagine they should hold up fairly well. And given their price point, replacing them in a few years may not be that big of a deal.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
The CA18RNX is coated... but I still don't think it will like direct moisture. I think it would hold up fine in a car... haven't heard/experienced any problems so far.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It may be coated but i don't think it's coated on the back of the cone where it would make a difference in this case or am i wrong?

·
Seen Rock City
732 Posts
You are probably right 300. If he is dealing with a lot of moisture the paper cone may be an issue.

For me the price/performance ratio on that mid is unbeatable. It is very inexpensive, and could be easily replaced if you could get maybe 2-3 years out of it.

·
Seen Rock City
732 Posts
OT--- "Tampa Bay" eh 300?

That's code for "not Tampa". Where are you? I was born @ Tampa General and grew up in Largo/Seminole. Went to USF.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
MiloX said:

That's code for "not Tampa". Where are you? I was born @ Tampa General and grew up in Largo/Seminole. Went to USF.
lol... yes, i'm at Largo... close to Seminole... :) I usually just put "Tampa Bay" because most people wouldnt have a clue if i had put Largo instead... lol
and you?

Regards
Leo

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I've noticed though that pulling 6+ yr. old paper cone stock oem drivers out of old car doors, that they held up pretty well?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I'm wouldn't be especially concerned about it. As NPDang mentioned, what do you think that most OEM car cones are made out of? I'd be more worried about dust or a little bug getting in through the spider ventilation and finding its way into the gap. However, if you're paranoid like me, you could consider cutting a Cool Whip container or something similar in half and using each half as a rain shield for a speaker. (The Publix house brand one sounds just as good ;) taste of the product I don't know because I don't eat that stuff. It went in the trash.)

Then again, if you're paranoid like me you probably put clay and lead shot on any stamped steel baskets in your system, made your drive-unit mounting rings using constrained layers, and so on....

·
Seen Rock City
732 Posts
300Z said:
MiloX said:

lol... yes, i'm at Largo... close to Seminole... :) I usually just put "Tampa Bay" because most people wouldnt have a clue if i had put Largo instead... lol
and you?

Regards
Leo
I am in "Greater Metro Atlanta area". :D

Specifically Norcross. But, like you, I just say Atlanta. Nobody knows where the sleepy little village of Norcross is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts