DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched for info on this driver but there is very little compared to the RNX. Parameters for RLY:

QTS: 0.45
VAS: 30L
FS: 40
Mfg freq response: 35-2500

For RNX:

QTS: 0.35
VAS: 36L
FS: 35
Mfg freq response: 40-3000

According to the calculation spreadsheet I borrowed, it would seem the RLY would have a lower bass cutoff (F3) in IB than the RNX. In addition, the RLY is slightly less deep and slightly less expensive (though not a huge difference). Both were tested in Zaph's 6.5-7" woofer test and the graphs looked similar to my untrained eyes.

Just wondering why these aren't considered as often. Is it because they are newer and no one has tried? Is it because they suck? Because midbass is not as good? Because they are harder to cross (roll off earlier at the high end?) If anyone has tried them please share your experiences.

Thanks,
Peter

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I think you nailed it on the head... greater bass output from the RNX. Otherwise, the RLY is a fine driver, and a bit shallower.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks npdang. Just for clarification, when I said lower cutoff for the RLY I meant its response should actually extend to lower Hz than the RNX. So by greater bass output I assume you mean midbass (above 80Hz). If you weren't running a sub I would think you would choose the RLY due to the lower F3 in a large enclosure or IB application.

Thanks again,
Peter

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
The voice coil is much longer in the RNX than the RLY. Higher powerhandling, and output.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts