DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an image of 2 possible curves in WinISD for a pair of Tang Band W8Q-017F 8 X12 woofers. The box is 2.5 ft^3. The curve with the gradual roil of is tuned to 27 Hz. The quick roll off is tuned to 35 Hz. the box is custom built by myself for a 2005 Dodge Ram regular cab pickup that is stealth and retains some storage on the top. This sub will be crossed between 40 and 80 Hz to 6.5” mid bass in the doors depending on the best sound.

My question for those of you that have experience with this is this. When taking cabin gain into consideration, which curve would sound less “bumpy” and be better for SQ and easier to tune with the crossover point and gain. Not looking for ear bleeding SPL here, but more usable SQ with good extension. I am tending to lean toward the 27Hz gradual roll of but I am not sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice thread on cabin gain.
I did a response curve for a sealed box for the same driver and overlaid it onto the original. The F3 is right at 60 Hz.

Interesting to note: If do the sealed response with a Q of .707 the box is 1.5 ft^3. If I change the box to 2.5 ft^3 (the vented box size) the Q=.58. The response changes very little between the 2 sealed box sizes.

This means that if I leave the box at 2.5 ft^3, I will have more tuning options as I will be able to just close off the port with a plate making the box sealed.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts