DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating buying an 05+ Nissan Frontier in either the King Cab or the Crew Cab. I'm not quite sure on that yet. I am wondering how different the cabin gain will be in this truck compared to the Montero Sport I am currently driving. The reason I ask is because I am obtaining equipment now and I want it to transfer over to the Frontier and still be happy with it. The biggest thing is power to the sub. I really want to be happy with about 450 watts to the substage. I'll either be using 2 8's ported, 1 12'' ported or 1 15'' sealed. I only have about 250 watts going to 2 10's in my SUV and am not near happy with it but would the same setup in the truck be significantly louder or no? Again, when I switch to the truck, I'll have about 450 watts on tap. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Loudness is a different aspect. Corner frequency is what to be expected to change somewhat. Theoretically the truck should have a higher corner frequency which should lend itself better for smaller sealed or higher tuned vented. Only testing can further prove that though. If you have a decent eq then all that doesn't matter much if you can dump some of the low end and add headroom to the bass engine. Basically trial & error unless you already know the vehicle's transfer function.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I certainly don't know the truck's transfer function. I just hoped to hear from people that had experience with both small/mid-size trucks and suv's. I can tell that right now if I were to keep the suv I would need at least 1,000 watts and a couple drivers to be happy. I'm really hoping that If I get the smaller truck, it won't take that kind of power or huge drivers to make me happy.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
By the difference in space inside the cab that is to be expected, however like stated I would be more concerned with matching the transfer function. Depending on where it starts to pick up can determine if you will have advantages or disadvantages increasing SPL after that has been dealt with.

As an example, I removed a single Peerless XXLS 10" (830876) from my 1st gen S10 Blazer 4 door and installed it in my 1996 Ford Ranger xtra cab. In the blazer it was very smooth and needed minimal eq cuts for a smooth low end. No boost was needed. Had good punch and extended very well. Overall output was pretty good for a single low powered 10".

With the same enclosure in the Ranger, I expected much more loudness which would have been there if it wasn't for a seemingly huge mode around 80-120hz. The extra db in that range is highly unwanted for my tastes so I had to drop the hu eq @ 100hz way down then increase sub level by a few clicks. Not a powerful in eq in the ranger by the way. Without some manipulation in the response I wouldn't compare the two plus the subs xmax got fairly used up trying to compensate for the lack of low end. Basically it would probably take two subs to decrease excursion after dumping upper bass and adding some low end to match the acoustics of the Blazer.

Of course your scenario may or may not be different. It could be just the opposite. You're already adding extra power so that gives some room for corrections.

·
Registered
54 Posts
typically a downfire setup should help with the extra gain you want.

other than that, just add more power if youre not happy :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the difference in space inside the cab that is to be expected, however like stated I would be more concerned with matching the transfer function. Depending on where it starts to pick up can determine if you will have advantages or disadvantages increasing SPL after that has been dealt with.

As an example, I removed a single Peerless XXLS 10" (830876) from my 1st gen S10 Blazer 4 door and installed it in my 1996 Ford Ranger xtra cab. In the blazer it was very smooth and needed minimal eq cuts for a smooth low end. No boost was needed. Had good punch and extended very well. Overall output was pretty good for a single low powered 10".

With the same enclosure in the Ranger, I expected much more loudness which would have been there if it wasn't for a seemingly huge mode around 80-120hz. The extra db in that range is highly unwanted for my tastes so I had to drop the hu eq @ 100hz way down then increase sub level by a few clicks. Not a powerful in eq in the ranger by the way. Without some manipulation in the response I wouldn't compare the two plus the subs xmax got fairly used up trying to compensate for the lack of low end. Basically it would probably take two subs to decrease excursion after dumping upper bass and adding some low end to match the acoustics of the Blazer.

Of course your scenario may or may not be different. It could be just the opposite. You're already adding extra power so that gives some room for corrections.
Thanks for your input. It's always nice to hear from people with first hand experience with these kinds of things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts