DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Much like my previous threads I am starting another part of a build that will be completely documented through video. The support for the door pod series was awesome and I hope you guys enjoy this series just as much. Just like before I will be video taping every single step and editing all the information together to present to you. If you haven't seen my videos before I hope that you enjoy them and would love to hear what you think!

If you missed the seeing the door pods I mentioned above here is how they turned out:

If you would like to see the in depth process of each step for how I made these door pods there is a conveniently organized playlist on YouTube at this link:

Fiberglass Door Panels Pods - Video Step 1 Woodwork Templates CarAudioFabrication - YouTube

But enough about the door pods! Its time to get into our next project: The Fiberglass Under Seat Sub Box! Lets get started!

First a little about the system:

The Vehicle:
Chevy Duramax 2500 HD Extended Cab (Will add pics soon)

The Gear:
Alpine Type R's 6.5" Component Speakers
10" JL Audio W3 (Just kidding, I was planning on using this but have fallen in love with the DAD KMH-8, so we are using that instead)
Knukonceptz wiring
Wirecare.com wire protection products
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine MRP-F300

If you are interested in a review for the KMH-8 or learning more, check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6IbXWqrm8k&list=UU4FiN46mPTtkJxzRXJY21lQ

I started with a concept, I knew that I wanted to build a box that would house both the amplifiers for the system and hide the wiring, but at the same time I wanted quick and easy access to them. The plan for how I am going to do this is difficult to explain, but as the build progresses it will become clear.

The box will also feature several inserts, I have entertained the idea of doing light up plexi on parts of the box. But I am not sure I want too. What do you guys think?

Anyhow here is the initial idea, I like to get stuff out on paper first, really gets the creative juices flowing:

With the general idea framed out I started building. Pretty traditional stuff here but one of the coolest things I can teach you here is how I used a "Adjustable Curve" to get a perfect match with the floor contour of the vehicle. I also got the "Beauty Panel" frame trimmed out on the top of the box.

To see the steps that got me to this point check out the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVrOp9KudZo&feature=c4-overview&list=UU4FiN46mPTtkJxzRXJY21lQ

Well, thats it for now, off to a good start, I already have the bottom fiberglass molded, just need to edit the video, so you guys have to wait! :wacky: Let me know what you guys think, wondering what direction you think I should go with the insert pieces, back lit, metal mesh, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Thanks, I use Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.
Cool! I use that as well as Final Cut Pro (which they are both very similar). You seem to have a pretty nice green screen setup, the keying looks good. Anything fancy or just some good lights and a screen?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool! I use that as well as Final Cut Pro (which they are both very similar). You seem to have a pretty nice green screen setup, the keying looks good. Anything fancy or just some good lights and a screen?
ive probably spent around 500 for everything. Total PITA to get it perfect, but once you got it set up its nice and easy to key.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pictures! All steps can be seen in the video in my previous post.

Molded the floor of the enclosure:

Have to be sure it is strong!

Added the top:

Had to fill up the large hole at the back of the enclosure where I wasnt able to just mold the floor:

One mistake I made is I went to heavy with the resin with the first coat, it ended up really glossy on the bottom of the enclosure, but still I was able to build several layers and it is STRONG. In the video I even bounce up and down on it with no issues!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who wants some pics?

Started with a circle around the sub, didnt really like it so you will see but I do something a little different:

Finally got a new dust mask! i love this thing!

Like the new shape around the sub better?

Amplifier cover templates:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Looks good. Love your videos, I'm trying to work up the balls to buy a router and start with making an amp trim cover.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good. Love your videos, I'm trying to work up the balls to buy a router and start with making an amp trim cover.
You totally should, it is the single best investment you can get to take your skills to the next level. Start with something entry level to learn on and then move your way up to something a little more powerful.

·
Registered
350 Posts
What do you recommend as an entry level router and am I better off starting off with a router table or by hand?

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
You don't want to go too cheap. You can get a good Bosch or Porter Cable or Dewalt for probably around $169. Totally worth it. The router is the cheap part, lol...it's the router bits that are expensive. You want something that has 1/4 and 1/2 collets. 1.75 HP at least. It'll be worth it in the end.

Jay

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks Jay

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi very pleasant to see your work and learn caraudio fabrication technics.
What is the thick of low temp plastic that you use for templates ?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts