DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok peeps I’m building a fibreglass enclosure for under the seats of my 2019 ram, anyone know off the top how much airspace it is if doing a “perfect” mold if the underside? I assume now so the question of the day is how exactly should I measure this? Fill it with something like sand? Some other fancy way?
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Just fill it with that bag of dog food you have there.

Sand, kitty liter, etc. will all work, use what you have. Unless it's a ported box I wouldn't stress too much about a perfectly accurate measurement.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Once I create my enclosure/mold I coat the inside completely with resin. Once dried I fill with water and covert gallons to cf.
You don’t worry about the water getting on the wood and causing damage at all?
Just fill it with that bag of dog food you have there.

Sand, kitty liter, etc. will all work, use what you have. Unless it's a ported box I wouldn't stress too much about a perfectly accurate measurement.
its going to be ported yes and I’m just kinda curious as to what it is in there because I’ve been asked a few times now. Plus won’t I need to know airspace you figure out port size? I’ve never calculated to put a proper port in…. I’m still a noob….

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
If it's completely resin coated then water shouldn't be an issue. It's by far the easiest way to measure it. Unless you live in a desert I guess. Or a really cold climate, then you'd use snow.

Reactions: DoubleCrown

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Ok peeps I’m building a fibreglass enclosure for under the seats of my 2019 ram, anyone know off the top how much airspace it is if doing a “perfect” mold if the underside? I assume now so the question of the day is how exactly should I measure this? Fill it with something like sand? Some other fancy way?
View attachment 311259
It looks like about 25 litres when I measure it by eye.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
use water, or packing peanuts or something similar.... Watter wont harm the ply wood in those few minutes in any way, especially if it is soaked with resin

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
use water, or packing peanuts or something similar....
Or rice or beans if you are one who likes to have a food horde.
Or dirt or fertiliser if you work the garden often.

I can just look at, and look a 25ltr Jerry can, and think… them two is about the same.
But a measurement is hard to beat,

Are you putting some raised stiffener fillets in it?
Or is it flexy at all?
Some dynamat and felt or similar could address any resonance concerns…

Reactions: Jheitt142

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
definitely he should put damping plates on the inside walls to prevent enclosure ringing... always a good thing with fiberglass enclosures

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I use rice

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Does any prefer Macaroni? Or bow tie pasta or Risoni?

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Using Bolognase makes one look a bit “like someone not to be messed with”.
But using Macaroni, and then using a cheese sauce for the mask seal… just makes one look weird.

Maybe one could get away with it using a Regiano, but it would be quite a challenge. A Borrolo, in the hand, might help to pull it off… or some other Italian classic.

·
Registered
2015 Toyota Camry V6
824 Posts
I assume that was five years ago but you remember it like it was yesterday, as there are still little white beans everywhere.
Making a mess was a big concern as I considered using the bean bag chair.

I just moved slowly as I measured the volume, then vacuumed it all back out. It was amazingly uneventful. I even re-used the styrofoam beads to confirm the volume of the enclosure once it was complete.

And one last thing, this was only a few months back, no where near 5 years ago ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts