DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to give a quick background. I am a huge home theater/music nut. I have spent a ton of money on equipment and design in my HT room. Lately I've been bored and looking for another project so I picked up a used 97 Astro Van to customize. I am not looking at going even close to in depth money wise with the car audio as my home audio, but I would prefer a very nice, accurate sounding system. Seeing as Ipod has taken over the world and I have thousands of songs on my touch, I decided to purchase the Alpine X305 based on the fact it bypasses the DAC's in the touch altogether allowing a much better sound quality than was recently obtainable from MP3. I am currently looking at picking up a nice component setup for the doors.

I prefer very accurate yet smooth sounding highs, with no sibilance or ringing. I actually prefer a brighter tweet in my HT room than in my car. It might have to do with the superior acoustic treatments in my theater as opposed to my car. While I like my music on the loud side, I do not listen at ear bleeding levels so I need a setup that hits the sweet spot without having to be wicked.

I want a crossover that will blend the midbass nicely with a 10" or 12" woofer. I am not looking for extreme bass, a couple of moderate powered subwoofers will suffice.

I have been looking at the HD642, the fact that it's priced extremely low right now is an added bonus. I don't necessarily need a 3 way, I just figured that would create the best overall blend. I'm open to all suggestions here. Budget is 400 here. If a 2 way is recommended I have been hearing good things about either the CTX65cs or the HD62. The pro is they will obviously come in under budget, freeing up funds for other areas.

I also need a recommendation on an amp to power them. Nothing fancy, just something that will power them nicely. I was eyeing the Kenwood Elite X20 and X4R but am open to any recommendations. I'd like to stay around 200-300 here.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
991 Posts
ok... simple really:

If you area hardcore in audio/HT as you indicate., then apply all you would do toward buying any component based on you budget.

What kind(s) of music? Who is doing the install? How much space are you wanting to give up? Hidden/stealth or High lighted install?

No one can suggest a speaker set for YOUR ears. Not gonna happen. It would be helpful if you inculded the manufacturer's name of the HD's or the CTX (I am guessing Image Dynamics?)

SPeakers: as with HT: take YOUR music, listen, audition... trust your ears not the sales guy flapping his/her lips.

Amps: stick to mainstream companies.

Head units: what do you want? Navigation? Processing? Blue tooth? iPod... I know you said you chose the X3... but my point is the same as any category... what is important to you? In my eyes, A hu can bypass the iPod DAC all it wants, but of the iPod or Bluetooth interface suck... I'm not buyin'.. its all about preference.

Overall:
I have been telling alot of people lately to look @ the build logs here & see what is being used. THAT is a great indicator of quality products in any category.

I think if you want some direction with your choices, that's fine. But your post is WAY to general/generic for us to help... What do you have in your Home Theater right now? what products? what wall treatments? what wires/cabling? Seating or Lazy Boys?

Im not being an ass, I am serious... the level that YOU perceive yourself in HT might very well be best described by a listing of your current set up... just a thought...

Rob

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks for the input. I tried to explain what I was looking for as best as possible. I agree it's certainly tough to recommend something due to the fact that everyone has differing opinions on what sounds good. Problem I have is; in my area there are no stereo shops. OK, there's one which carries Alpine, RF, and JL. So as you can see it's impossible to demo speakers, so I really have to rely on others opinions.

To try and answer some of your questions.

1) I listen to all kinds of music, from classical to rock. It really depends on my mood. Only thing I don't like is heavy metal and edgy rap.

2) This new project is really just about trying something different. I don't care how much or little space it takes up. I'm going to be doing all the work myself.

3) I think the HT questions might be rhetorical so I won't bore you with all the details. Let's just say I've done a ton of research and have put together a very nice package. Only thing left there is I'm in the process of replacing an SVS PB12/2 Ultra subwoofer with 4 18" Fi Car Audio IB subs.

4). I'll continue to look through the logs and find recommendations, (which is where I came to the conclusion that the HD or CTX's would make for a good foundation.)

5) That being said, if anyone has additional input on component speakers and amps based on my OP, I'm all ears. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts