DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some HAT 6.5 speakers used. Seller made baffle boards and used short screws and very little packing otherwise.

In shipment the speakers broke free of the mdf and one basket cracked.

I want to try to repair the broken one.

Im thinking to cut down a plastic mounting ring ( eliminate the flange), drill holes in it and give it a good scuffing, scuff the basket and then epoxy the ring either to back, front or both.

its broken in two places between the mounting holes and is only be held by the rubber surround.

Thoughts?
Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive design Watch

Automotive tire Automotive design Synthetic rubber Grey Carbon

Wood Rectangle Art Building Floor

Automotive tire Rectangle Wood Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
1,465 Posts
Depends on the metal and your welding skills. If it's carbon steel you can have it welded but if its cast iron good luck.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I second the JB weld. Just clamp it some how. Your idea of a backing ring is a good idea but I think aluminum would be better since it would allow you to use basic c-clamps on each side of the factory mounting hole, and provide more structure and alignment than plastic.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I second the JB weld. Just clamp it some how. Your idea of a backing ring is a good idea but I think aluminum would be better since it would allow you to use basic c-clamps on each side of the factory mounting hole, and provide more structure and alignment than plastic.
That would be my first choice too. Any idea where I can find them?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depends on the metal and your welding skills. If it's carbon steel you can have it welded but if its cast iron good luck.
I’m doubtful about any welding. Too much heat without pulling back a lot of the surround. Even if they were not some form of pot metal its beyond my welding skills. They’re not a ferrous metal.

·
Super Moderator
2,225 Posts
Most any Auto parts or Home-Depot type store or good ole' Amazon...

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
1,465 Posts
I’m doubtful about any welding. Too much heat without pulling back a lot of the surround. Even if they were not some form of pot metal its beyond my welding skills. They’re not a ferrous metal.
I'm not a welder and I would have not taken on a tast like that. But I got buddies from work that are welders that I would have taken a weld job to. But the JB weld seems easy enough.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Fedex is the worst. I have a Camara at my front doors, these foos can't even bend down to drop off a package. Just toss everything.

·
Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,431 Posts
JB weld it and it’ll be fine. That’s the ticket. JB weld can/will surprise you.

Reactions: MythosDreamLab

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That’s a really great idea. These HAT drivers don’t give much room with that surround but if I can bury one into the very corner where the backside of the basket meets the flange (at the two cracked ends) that would do it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts