DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Why do you think you need 3 to 5k watts if you like "clean balanced music"? If you use anywhere near that kind of power on yours subs, the music will not be balanced. I'm not saying you shouldn't go for it, but I am saying it won't be balanced if you are using that kind of power on your subs. To maintain a balanced system with that kind of power on the subs your front stage would have to be deafeningly loud.
Maybe I should say, "Fairly clean" and "semi-balanced"... to my own tastes :) lol Put it this way, with only 965 wts to my sub-woofers (with many different subwoofer setups) and around 450 wts to my front stage, I've always ran out of juice to the subs, before anything else. And again, I'm not saying I've ever had a super professional SQ, or SPL setup. Just stuff I've messed around with as a hobbyist. I've just always felt that getting loud enough mids / highs, that still sounded clean, was easier than getting the kind of stomach shaking, eye ball rattling bass that Id like to have along with it. And as far as drowning out mids and highs with bass, I've always felt that if its deep enough bass, that's not really a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
For a sub it is hard to have too much headroom, and even for the woofer.
Because one runs out of headroom faster at those frequencies.

The the midrange and tweeter it is easy to say more headroom than is required.
It will not sound worse and it will not sound better... it will sound the same with 1/2dB of headroom as will 30dB of headroom.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
For a sub it is hard to have too much headroom, and even for the woofer.
Because one runs out of headroom faster at those frequencies.

The the midrange and tweeter it is easy to say more headroom than is required.
It will not sound worse and it will not sound better... it will sound the same with 1/2dB of headroom as will 30dB of headroom.
Totally agreed. This is why I'd like to have 10K wts available, even if I only used 2K on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
2kW is a lot.
Unless you have some really low efficiency set up, pr playing really low, then I am not sure how many ways are needed.

If one only ever uses 500W max... then 2kW is already a ton of headroom, and 10kW is not going to be in any way better.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts