1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I believe both Solen.ca and Madisound do design and construction of xover units...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, I just had Solen build mine. Expect to pay around $175 for a pair of 2way crossovers. Don't know how much Madisound sells theirs for.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got quoted $47 from Madisound. Of course, I'm wondering if Solen's may be higher quality?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
atomicquad said:
Yeah, I just had Solen build mine. Expect to pay around $175 for a pair of 2way crossovers. Don't know how much Madisound sells theirs for.
did they design yours as well? bc he just needs them built

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, seemed high to me. :)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Crap for $175 you can easily find either an Arc Audio mx1 or Audio Control 2xs electronic xover unit, with money to spare to buy pizza and beer.

·
Registered
655 Posts
AzGrower said:
Crap for $175 you can easily find either an Arc Audio mx1 or Audio Control 2xs electronic xover unit, with money to spare to buy pizza and beer.
I got my Audio Control 2xs active xover for less than $40. =)

That said, these generic analogue active crossovers sound horrible. A simple, well-tweaked 4th order passive crossover would kill it. Digital active crossovers sound much better (I've only heard the Behringer DCX) than analogue, but well-done passive crossovers (made from good capacitors) still smash them to my ears. But in a car environment it may not really matter.

Does Solen crossovers use Solen capacitors? 'Cause I think Solen capacitors sounds pretty muddy compared to Sonicaps and teflon capacitors. They seem to remove details. If ordering crossovers from them, you might notice something pretty dramatic by adding low-value bypass caps to the tweeter capacitors, or replacing them altogether.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I decided to go the passive xover route because I've had electronic crossovers in the past and I had lots of problems with them. I had 4 audiobahn crossovers and they all went bad. Very poor engineering so I guess thats why I don't like them as much. And if Solen designs and builds some passive crossovers for my setup. They should provide optimum sound quality for what I want. Also Solen caps are found in the Seas reference series crossovers. I would imagine that these caps are good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
No wonder you do not like active crossovers if you have only had audiobomb crap, 99% of what they make is garbage.

If you want them for a house I would go passive in most cases, for a vehicle, active only.

When you say the are already designed, if for a vehicle it needs to be very specificly done for that particular vehicle and install layout, exact location of the drivers, etc, etc.

Any improvement you could possibly get with a passive crossover will go right out the window if you are not doing as above, I have tried many over the years. I even used active crossovers on a $7K pair of seperates that had an incredibly well designed and built passive set, best I have ever seen or heard but in car, active was far superior.

I prefer a crossover with variable slopes and frequencies or if must be fixed slope, steeper is generally better. Chip frequency changes are much more difficult to get it right with but I have done it, I still have little bags full of 1% resistors and probably some sockets left from my Audio Control days:)

Rick

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
love to go active, but i don't think i can do it in my car. :( [need to keep rear speakers and stealth install = no room for anything else]

Atomicquad: how did you like your solen passives? They just quoted me 112 to build!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just ordered my passive crossovers this week. I should have them within the next week or so.

I agree, that audiobahn stuff is garbage. I had nothing but problems with it. I have since switched all my electronics over to Eclipse because they are very reliable and well made. That also have low distortion too. That's another problem with crossovers. A lot of them have noise whereas a passive crossover would be less likely to have it. I too would like to go active but decided against it because I didn't want a ton of amps in my car.

The price you got from Solen was for design and building or for just for the building?

I wonder how many people here have bought crossovers from Solen?? Madisound??

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was just for building if you can believe it. Either its REALLY high quality or they are just expensive.

atomicquad said:
I just ordered my passive crossovers this week. I should have them within the next week or so.

I agree, that audiobahn stuff is garbage. I had nothing but problems with it. I have since switched all my electronics over to Eclipse because they are very reliable and well made. That also have low distortion too. That's another problem with crossovers. A lot of them have noise whereas a passive crossover would be less likely to have it. I too would like to go active but decided against it because I didn't want a ton of amps in my car.

The price you got from Solen was for design and building or for just for the building?

I wonder how many people here have bought crossovers from Solen?? Madisound??

·
Registered
137 Posts
Who designed your crossover?

Is there any free sites that allow you too design crossovers by entering the necessary crossover values?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I did. :) jk, this is the Focal crossover design for the Focal Mistral (PolyK more or less) 6.5" comp set

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Whether you decide to go active or passive, in the end it shouldn't matter although there are some advantages for each.

The most important fact that seems to be missed is the design of the crossover. Picking the right electrical slopes and cutoff point so that you can get smooth driver to driver transition, at a point that doesn't stress either driver... as well as contouring any frequency response problems (although an eq is usually used for this).

My only gripe against passive is it's very hard to design something that can do the above.. given that Madisound can't measure anything in your car.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
NP hit the nail right on the middle of the head, unless your car is being used and the engineer is doing the design, no passive is going to be the best solution unless you just get dang lucky!!

Unless you drive a Iseta there is room for a passive crossover and a small amp to make it work out.

The only reason(in 99.99% of the cases) to keep rear speakers is to entertain somebody in a back seat, ocasionally for a bit of needed rear fill.

BUT, the bottom line is, do what will make you happy no matter what anybody else thinks as that is all that really matters:):)

Rick

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
true. i wish i could go active really, but the need for rear speakers in a minivan is pretty important. ;) unless and until i see a great HU deal (cd8454), i'm going to have to stick with passives.

·
Registered
339 Posts
i don't think copy and pasting a focal crossover design is a good way to design a passive crossover (unless you are using the same focal drivers). the crossover may implement slopes, notch filters, and impedance networks that would not benefit other drivers, and in fact would degrade them. if you are using madisound drivers, they will design, test, and build you a crossover for about $50 each. you could get a free crossover design program and design it yourself. then buy the parts and with some soldering skills you can build it yourself, it doesn't have to look pretty. don't waste $112 for solen to build a crossover that will degrade your sound. if i knew more about crossover design i would offer to design it for you. see if you can find someone who is into building crossovers to lend you a hand.

rob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts