DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have these power acoustik NX-10 horns that I bought when I was 17. And GOSH DANG. THEY SCREECH.

Just looking for an affordable pair of tweeters that don't sound harsh. The ones I have just hurt.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not looking for anything fancy. Just something that doesn't screech like the ones I have. And horns aim the sound directly into MY FREAKING EARS.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I will just go with what I found. I am not looking to go nuts

·
Registered
63 Posts
That will be quite a change - going from compression horns to a soft dome tweeter. I've never used anything but soft domes in my cars. I find anything else usually a bit to fatiguing on my ears.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok. So it is the type of tweeter i bought. because those horns do hurt the ears.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
This is pretty much the only reasonably priced tweeter that I recommend in a car: SEAS Prestige 27TAFNC/G (H1397) 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter: Madisound Speaker Store

There's a silk version, too, but the aluminum version is slightly better and does NOT sound harsh or overly bright. Silk tweeters can sound bright; metal tweeters can sound dull. The cone material is only one of many factors.

Of course, that doesn't mean that EVERYONE will agree that the Seas Neo tweeters are great, even for the money, but that's my personal recommendation.

Note that the tweeter itself is only part of the equation. How it's set up such as placement, aim, crossover, etc., also affect the sound. In fact, it could be argued that those things matter even more than the tweeter itself.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok. Thanks for the suggestion. I might go with that. Because I want a tweeter that doesn't sound harsh.

About 70% of music is screaming metal. And the tweeters I have now sound fine when I am playing rap. But when I play metal. Omgsh. It just gets down right obnoxious with how harsh they are.

I am not afraid to spend a little more. If you know of a tweeter that isn't harsh. Otherwise. for $35 i will gladly try the ones you recommended.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read online that a silk dome tweeter will sound less "harsh" than a metal one.

Can anyone help. I want one that is not harsh sounding.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
That's not necessarily true. I still recommend Seas Neo. The silk version is fine too if you care. They are reasonably detailed, not laid back, but not overly bright, either.

If you like laid back then try Morel or DLS.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am a HUGE fan of the tiny 5/8" and 3/4" silks from Dayton. I have a set of the rear mounts and the smaller, round ones, and both sets sound fantastic, are cheap, and work well with a single cap at about 3.5k for a HPF (would work well right off your deck). They are also TINY (especially the round ones) and fit just about anywhere!

Dayton Audio ND16FA-6 5/8" Neodymium Dome Tweeter 275-025

and

Dayton ND20FB-4 Rear-Mount 3/4" Neodymium Dome Tweeter 275-035

A great bonus is that you get excellent off-axis response from the small domes on these. Downside from that is you need to cross them at 3.5k or higher to get good power handling.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I'd really recommend a second-order crossover with those at 3.5k, not first-order. They are very good tweeters for the money. I have built some MTMMM slim speakers with them + 4 HiVi B3S per speaker for a relative. (We were building speakers to fit a specific size opening he had available)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'd really recommend a second-order crossover with those at 3.5k, not first-order. They are very good tweeters for the money. I have built some MTMMM slim speakers with them + 4 HiVi B3S per speaker for a relative. (We were building speakers to fit a specific size opening he had available)
Of course a 2nd order would be better, but I have a set of the ND16s in my house running 1st order with just a single cap (obv.) at 3.5k with about 20w on them and they are fine. I have another set in the car of the ND20s on 40w (2nd order active) and they are also happy.

I would say they are EXCELLENT tweeters irrespective of how much they cost. That they are very affordable and can be placed almost anywhere is just icing on the cake. Keep in mind I have a pair of vintage ADS L910 speakers in my listening room so I know what "good" tweeters sound like. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What about adding a component speaker instead?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just so everyone knows. I am not a SQ person nor am I a brand loyal person.

I am just looking for a way to make the music in my car sound less harsh.

ANd I am positive it is the horn tweeters that i have.

Any suggestions for a tweeter or another type of speaker that will help with the highs but not sound bright and harsh.

I am thinking of a tweeter. But I want one that isnt bright or harsh.

That is why I was looking at silk dome ones.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I checked the link out.

But I am just looked for a soft sounding tweeter.

I did a little more reading.

I am going to go with a silk tweeter either 1" or larger.

I seriously hate really high pitch ear piercing sounds. I am a bass oriented person.

How about any of these?

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?FTR=silk&search_type=main&WebPage_ID=3&searchFilter=silk&x=0&y=0

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=275-140

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=275-070

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=276-610

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
All 3 of those and some others from that category are good, but you will find them pretty hard to fit in a car (not impossible, though) as they are pretty large.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts