DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my friend is restoring a VW Corrado vr6. He asked me to select all the components. Hes bringing it to a high end shop in Cali for the install. Lets do this.

This is an extremely K.I.S.S. system which is my fave type.

A set of 6.5" 2 way components. Stock locations (down on door, tweets on dash) 3" depth. The deck we will select by feel and appearance/features at a shop. Single din. Im pushing the stage 4 drs or whatever its called to handle everything but $2000 is the component limit. Custom fiberglass 10".

He basically wants my system after hearing it yesterday.

Ive tried a great deal of 6.5" drivers/comp sets over the past 14 years.

I never heard hybrid and there seems to be a boner about them for a long standing time and I want to know if theyre really worth the money and what to expect to pay for the 6s and pro tweets. Unbiased, by someone who has heard many other high end drivers.

So far I am considering for the comp set (based on his preferences and how he eq'd up my system to his liking)

His only requirements (no home audio stuff, has to be same brand):

-Focal Polykev with the new yellow tweets (you know what I mean) never heard the new tweets, very curious if they have that signature focal sound.

-Focal polyglass anniversary edition (no surprises here)

-Hybrid l6 and pro tweets (never heard)

-MB quart QSD (new model) looks very nice, only read magazine reviews.

-JBL GTI mkII

-Boston pro se

We can go active or passive as I have zap dc amps for processing or he could buy the new prs deck or I will use an eqx or eql if passive. Also needs to be matching and he has to like the looks.

Amps are my last concern its simple: zapco dc if I need the processing hundreds to choose from if not.

For the single 10" sealed:

-IDQ v3

-TC Epic (he loves my Audiomobile EVO)

-the soundsplinter rlp or whatever the name is

-Alumapro rx

He listens mostly to hiphop and electronica and will beat on the sub. I know him. Needs good output, limited depth, sound good but can drop the 808's on hiphop with authority.

Suggest away. I have $2000 cash to spend

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
To answer your topic question, I personally dont think Hybrid Audio drivers are worth the price you pay or can get them for. But deciding on which component like you know is a subjective one, no way we could tell you what should sound best to him.

That being said, I have always been interested in the JBL 660GTi components, never heard them personally but hear good things all the time. Steve aka audionutz used them in his huge truck a few years ago. Since you listed the Focal 165 V30, I surprisingly really like this set since I usually favor the dark/smoother but these have very nice balance of detail and smoothness without any harness.

If you convince him to go active (which provides the best cost/performance) you have tons of options as I am sure you know ;)

As a far as subwoofers, honestly it would seem like any would work but he seems to like low distortion drivers. I liked the IDQv2 much better than the IDQv3 which supposedly has "better" technology. Have looked into the Peerless XLS/XXLS sealed or Dayton HO ported (very small enclosure) or does it have to be car audio brand also? If onbly car audio brands, I really liked how the Jl W6 sounds but its rather large/deep but I dont know you install requirements

BTW Shouldnt you know the answers to these questions since you are an OG :p LOL

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh I have pretty much decided on the cant lose combo of the
Deck tba
polyglass anniversary comp set passive
4 channel dc1000.4 or 360.2, 500.1
and tc epic (since he likes my evo).

Just curious if anyone would go another way. Especially the og's. In fact, thats who this thread is aimed towards. Not johnny 12 post.

I also prefer idq v2 but it could not keep up with hophip as a single 10. I know as I tried all the subs that would fit in my .62cuft stealthbox. I have never heard the idq v3 just heard lil less sq and lil more output which fits his needs well.

So Im curious if anyone had experience with the stuff mentioned that I havent as well.

Even active, needs to be same brand. But Im probably not going to take the cost risk on hybrids having some sort of magic.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
That seems like a solid setup...for the HU if running active, you could run the upcoming Pioneer DEH-80PRS and pick difference amplifiers. While I do like the flexibility of Zapco DC amplifiers, tuning can be a ***** when you need to pull something out to tune...just an option ;)

If you dont think he even wants to go active and more about features....a source with everything built-in nav/iPod/video/EQ(limited)/etc and running passive should be adequate.

I think that the TC Sounds Epic is a good recommendation especially if they have kept their original design, dont know much about any of their newer stuff though

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That seems like a solid setup...for the HU if running active, you could run the upcoming Pioneer DEH-80PRS and pick difference amplifiers. While I do like the flexibility of Zapco DC amplifiers, tuning can be a ***** when you need to pull something out to tune...just an option ;)

If you dont think he even wants to go active and more about features....a source with everything built-in nav/iPod/video/EQ(limited)/etc and running passive should be adequate.

I think that the TC Sounds Epic is a good recommendation especially if they have kept their original design, dont know much about any of their newer stuff though
i really want him to get the 80PRS but the cost is throwing him off. And he only listens to his ipod, wants bluetooth and pandora and is not really a tuner. I want to play with it more than him.

I havent heard the tc epic either but I was told that it is a better driver than the evo. Thats when the idq v3 comes into play. Another cant loose selection

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had a variety of speakers over the years from old school Jensens to MB Quart Q series, to Focal. My current HAT Clarus 6.5 components are probably the best overall that I've owned. The mid bass is outstanding and they play very accurate to the reference stuff I am very familiar with. I'd recommend auditioning whatever you can though. Good luck,

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hybrids high end is the best I've ever heard.

The application and listening tastes factor in.

Arc Blacks are my next favorite.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also

These make me curious

I really want to hear them

·
Registered
876 Posts
Given their price, it's not a matter of quality, they're obviously good. But for that kind of money, you can also get him into Dyn, Scan, Seas, etc.

If there's a certain "house" sound that you prefer, I'd say pick something that you can count on, as he's sort of relying on you.

For subs, I know a number of BM MKiiis have been in the classified section lately. Given the space constraints, those might be a great option.

Just my .02

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Given their price, it's not a matter of quality, they're obviously good. But for that kind of money, you can also get him into Dyn, Scan, Seas, etc.

If there's a certain "house" sound that you prefer, I'd say pick something that you can count on, as he's sort of relying on you.

For subs, I know a number of BM MKiiis have been in the classified section lately. Given the space constraints, those might be a great option.

Just my .02
Oh I know. I have a set of 4 ohm peerless HDS nomex and sea small format he could use and be set. He just doesnt want to use home audio (unknown drivers)

He cant afford the dyn esotar so theyre out. Maybe I can convinc him in trying the new scanspeak discovery comp set at madisound but I doubt it. He likes car audio names he knows and I dont want to argue about something like that irl. He used to be into this stuff as well. Just dropped out for 7 or so years.

So $2000 for all the components...new or mintish used.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
I ran the Peerless XXLS 12" in .5 sealed and loved it. I mainly listen to R&B/HIPHOP and that sub sounded great on just about anything you throw at it. Also I don't know if this a requirement or not, but it doesn't need a lot of power either. I think I had around 400 - 500 or so on it. As for comps I've always liked H-audio/Audible Physics drivers myself. I ran the old ebony 6.5's and those were good too. Image Dynamics are good sound drivers too for midbass. I ran at one point IDQ8's with IDQ6's and horns and it was quite nice. I've always wanted to try Diamond Audio... HEX's, HEXPRO, NEO HEX's etc!!!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
12" in.5?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
12" in.5?
Yeah .5 cubic feet. I orginally had built it for the DIYMA sub, but after changing my mind I figured I try the Peerless in it and I ended up loving it. It didn't have a ton of output, but it blended very well. That is where the XXLS excels as it can blend with anything you want to run with it.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah .5 cubic feet. I orginally had built it for the DIYMA sub, but after changing my mind I figured I try the Peerless in it and I ended up loving it. It didn't have a ton of output, but it blended very well. That is where the XXLS excels as it can blend with anything you want to run with it.
Yeah I had the xls 12 in 1 cuft which is critically damped. It blended well, thats all it did well.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
My understanding is that there existed a LOT of many different versions of Peerless XXLS/XLS. It may be plausible that the version you had would produce adequate sound in such small enclosure. However, it probably wouldn't be optimal for Peerless 835017 XXLS sold by parts express right now. Even 1cu ft would be pushing it (~0.9 qtc).

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Then I assume, the other aspects of its were the opposite of well? Just curious...
Yep DS-21 advised me on this. No low end boom. Extremely fast transients that hit you in the chest and blending was top notch like the morel/alumapros I used but below 40 hz was garbage. It was meant to be paired with a PR but he assured me it was not necessary. It was

here she is

Was replaced by audiomobile MASS.

·
Registered
186 Posts
C5's instead of ZR's, HD's instead of XD's, and a 10w6 will sound great.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts