DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PS8-50 installed in my impala. Running 6 channel mode currently. I have a pair of CDT unity 8's 2" widebands mounted to my pillars, pair of focal integration tweeters in the pillars and a pair of 6.5's in the doors. Head unit is a Pioneer 4660 with 3 sets of low level outputs.

I tried turning off the tweeters this afternoon and running the unity 8's up to 20k. I like it better than running the tweets! This leaves me 2 free channels to run to the rear for fill.

I did some searching and it seems most people are running l-r / r-l and percentage mixing with the helix for rear fill. I'm still pretty new to the whole dsp thing and really haven't looked at using my PS8-50 to process the rear fill.

Has anybody successfully done the rear fill thing with an ARC audio processor? Any tips or setup info? I was thinking about installing another set of unity 8's for rear fill but it seems like wasted money for the intended purpose. I've also had my eyes on the Fountek FR59EXE 2" which I would think would do just as good of a job for fill but, that's why I'm asking here.

Thanks for any input and information.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Sorry but unfortunately, I'm not aware of any way to make a l-r and a r-l outputs on Arc processors.
You can do it on Helix but a you do on Arc is sum to mono l+r.

If you have enough channels you can run one set of outputs into the input and stack delays to get more delay for rear fill.
I did it for awhile w ps850.
Outputs 3/4 to inputs 3/4. To outputs 5/6.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have a Helix DSP.3 that is capable of true, differential rear-fill. After trying differential rear-fill and regular "rear speakers", I actually preferred regular "rear speakers". :)

I'm using some 6.5" coaxials for my rear speakers (car came stock with 6.5" speakers in the rear deck) - and run them from like 90hz - 6khz (if I remember correctly). I know that is a much wider range than most people use for "rear fill", but I just found that worked the best for me and my preferences. I don't have a full sub in the trunk - I just run a small, self-powered 8" under-seat sub (JL BassPro SL), so iI figure some extra bass from the rear speakers can't hurt (I like a bass/midbass-heavy sound). I run the rear speakers at a reduced level (I think it's about -5dB). They just give my system a "fullness" that I couldn't get without them. Vocals still come from the middle of the windshield and the stage is still very much in front of me - but the rear speakers just add something to the overall sound that I really like. In my case, a 2" speaker wouldn't work for me since I run them pretty low.

I guess that my point is... don't be afraid to try things that are "different". :) That is the beauty of DSPs - it's so easy to try very different configs very quickly - so easy to experiment. Personally, I was never fully happy with my system until I added the rear speakers into the mix. I tried going "fronts only" for a while (with many different speakers) and just prefer the rear speakers to play a part. I EQ them to the same curve as the front speakers, reduce the levels and bandpass them as stated above. You don't need expensive speakers for rear-fill. I'm still running some Kenwood Excelon 6.5" coaxials from when I had Kenwood Excelon speakers all around. They are a pain in the rear to replace, so I just left them be - they work well for their purpose.

Oh - glad to hear that someone else is enjoying the CDT Unity 8.0 speakers. I have them as well and absolutely love them. The clarity and smoothness is just at a whole nother level, IMO. I never get any "harshness" from them and they completely eliminate the need for dedicated tweeters, IMO (so one less crossover to deal with, more flexible mounting options, less amp/DSP channels needed, etc). I honestly think that CDT speakers are some of the most under-rated, overlooked speakers out there. Very reasonably priced, great customer support, huge selection and great sound quality. I'm now running them in my dash (Unity 8) and my doors (6x9 midbass) - even though I have much more expensive and more "popular" brands of speakers sitting here (Illusion Audio, AudioFrog, Focal, Hybrid Audio Technologies, etc). I honestly prefer the CDT speakers (and no, I am NOT affiliated with the company in any way whatsoever!). :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How would I get a mono signal to my rear speakers? I'm currently sending the rear signal from my head unit to the rear speakers from the dsp. I'm using input 3&4 to feed output 1&2. I don't understand how to use the 5 upmix outputs at the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is where I ended up today. I added front and rear signal into the upmixer. I then assigned the upmixed signal to the rear channels at a 50% mix. Can anyone confirm that this is the proper way to do this on the arc audio processor? Am I losing the fader function by using both the front and rear inputs into the upmixer?

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called arc audio today. Below is the way to set up rear fill using their upmixer and still retain fader.

20201019_200929.jpg
20201019_201002.jpg
20201019_201030.jpg

I'm still working on integration. I spent about 30 min on the phone with them and learned a lot about the processor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts