DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like title says, can I use any eq like the PPI DEQ-230?

Im still piecing the system together. Here's what I have so far:

Clarion DXZ785USB
Focal Utopia 7w2
Seas Lotus RT25A
12" IDMax v3

And here's what Im thinking about picking up either the new JL Audio 900/5 or ED nine.5 if I find one. And the PPI DEQ-230.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Not sure why you could consider those two amps... they are miles apart from each other. The slash has actual technology in it.

The EQ doesn't care about the rest of your equipment. Personally I would lean towards a parametric with fewer bands over a graphic... having wrestled with graphics in the past.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Or get a HU that can do what you need. I do wish my HU had a pre-out I could play with in addition to the rest.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont think the DEQ-230 is a graphic eq. PPI DEQ-230 31-Band Equalizer

It's true they're miles apart in technology but they both put out 100x4 @ 4 ohms and 500x1 plus for the sub channel. And Im only looking to run a 1 amp setup this time around. Hence, the reason between the two amps because they put out roughly the same amount of power with the JL having better technology and a footprint that's 2x smaller than the ED nine.5.

The reason for an eq is so I can have more tuning capabilities, that's why I chose to go with a cheaper HU but with the features I need such as 3-way active capable and T/A. In the end, Im going to end up paying about the same if I was to buy a higher end HU.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so the HU has 6ch RCA outputs plus a set of RCA Auxiliary Input with Level Control. Im guessing the 6ch's are f/r/sub rca channels. Now the PPI DEQ-230 has only 1 input and 1 output. And the amp Im guessing has only f/r/sub channels like the HU. How do I hook it up? Do I run front channel rca from HU to Input on the PPI and Output from PPI to front channel on amp? :confused: How would the eq control the rear and sub channels? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
You didn't like my comments before, so here goes:

If you want to retain your HU's F/R/S output controls, you have to use a multichannel EQ like a DSP-6 (with a lot of adapters) or an audiocontrol EQS.

The eD amp is a POS compared to the JL. :)~

·
Registered
20 Posts
You didn't like my comments before, so here goes:

If you want to retain your HU's F/R/S output controls, you have to use a multichannel EQ like a DSP-6 (with a lot of adapters) or an audiocontrol EQS.

The eD amp is a POS compared to the JL. :)~

wish there was a thumbs up i con for the smiles you deserve it most of all telling the guy e.d. is pos amps you could use you hu with a 7 band but it would almost be worth less to buy a new one. because tuning it does not have enough ports/rca's to send this freq to the high and this freq to the lower mid etc...from what i know most hu's with the 6 rca's out have no 7 band eq or better. but this is as far as i know i think most are a 3 band para metric but do not quote me on it i could be wrong.

you need at least a 7 band but the more bands the better tuning is you just need to buy your self a rta to aid in tuning it. with out it your lost there is free soft were for a rta at trueaudio.com. but the mic mixer and cord for it cost like 150 to set up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
to add you need a head unit with a single rca out like alpines cde9870 or cde9872 or some thing like it in side the hu you can switch it to full pass out threw rca and then runn a multi channel eq like this one the kicker
Kicker KQ9 Signal Processor found at crutchfiled.com and else wear

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I did some more digging around and you guys are right. Im going to have to ditch the PPI, it looks like Im going for an Audiocontrol EQS. Thanks guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts