DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to buy a Peerless definition6 kit but people here told me it wasn't that good.

What can I get that is better for the same price, about 150$US. I can go up to 300$US but this has to include all speakers and Xovers. Xovers are the thing I know the least about so an active Xover it pretty much out of the question. I talked with people at Adire audio alot and they told me that 99% of active setups are not as good as a passive set-up that is made for the speakers used. Ajustments are just to hard...

I have a CDT HD-642 kit right now and I believe the low's aren't low enough. To give it good power, I have to put the Xover over 125hz so that the 6 inch woofer doesn't flip out... Very disappointed!! Would have to stay a 6.5 inch for the woofer.

Amp is a Zapco ref750.2

Sud amp will probably be a Zapco ref500.1 and sub suggestions would be appreciated also. Looking at the Adireaudio Brahma 12". Anything to say about that woofer?

·
Registered
212 Posts
i would stick with a peerless woofer if bass output is what you want... or if not peerless then seas g18.

as for the tweeter it depends on what you want. if you like a laid back tweeter then for cheap id suggest the vifa mg or seas 27. great tweeters for the money.

and yes passives can be better but that means that youve done extensive testing in YOUR specific car then built the crossovers. so for most users trying to judge by ear an active setup is better because you can change settings "on the fly".

there are better choices but price goes up drastically and things could get complicated. your better off just getting passives built just for the drivers. usually if your not meticulous about EVERY tiny detail they will sound amazing to you.

I say just go for it. IMO its better then just about everything car audio brands offer.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I would have to disagree. Alot of passive crossovers sound terrible. But if you have no inclination to spend some time tuning or learning then it could be an acceptable solution.

Check out the Alpine spx-177r. It uses very very nice drivers, and a flexible passive that allows for some adjustment. $215 at ikesound.

·
Registered
655 Posts
parts express is selling certain mids and tweeters for 25 cents each, you can build a two-way kit for only a dollar.

·
Registered
82 Posts
cotdt said:
parts express is selling certain mids and tweeters for 25 cents each, you can build a two-way kit for only a dollar.
...and it will sound like a dollar :D

npdang's solution is definitely solid as well as some of JL's sets, which also allow for some adjustment to both the mid and tweeter.The main problem with going with passives, as mentioned, is the lack of control with regard to individual speaker gains, eq'ing, and any time allignment you may use. On the flip side, most of this country is more than happy with an aftermarket speaker system run through passives with the mid (typically) located in the door and the tweet in the stock location or somewhere near the A-pillars. If you think you fall more in line with these folks, where tweaking/tuning is more effort than you are willing to put forth, a set like the Alpine's or some of JL's higher end comps will get the job done just fine. Just expect most of the people here on this board to ostracize you :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might go active after all.

I was looking at the Zapco SLX4 prices and found it to be very expensive.

I already bought a SLX2 for the sub/frontstage seperation but I think I might go for an audiocontrol 6XS for Xovers.

Do you suggest something else?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
The most convenient and affordable way to go active Imho is to buy a headunit with a 3-way crossover, eq, and time alignment. You can make all your changes from the headunit with the push of a button, and decks like these generally sell for $200-$300 nowadays... combined with their flexibility make it a real bargain compared to those separate analog units.

·
Registered
880 Posts
How is your CDT HD´s mounted?
Those drivers normaly have VERY solid midbass capability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts