DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed my system (2-12" Rockfords "150 w"/ and Rockford amp (350w) about 3 months ago and I love them. About a week ago I was turning a corner and my subwoofers started thumping randomly like a machine gun, I would straighten out of the turn and they would stop doing that. It has gotten progressively worse this week. Now it seems to do it when I go over bumps on the road or on turns or even when Im sitting still!. Its really wierd. (They even do it when I turn my stereo volume to 0":confused:

Initially I had ran the rca's right along the power wire and didn't ever expierence a problem. Yesterday I put them on opposite sides of the car to try and fix the random thumping, it didnt work. Today I checked the ground and filed down the surface some more and reconnected, IT didnt work. I checked all of the connections on my amp and they were all good.
Can anybody help me I just want my subs to be normal again.

The equipment isnt even 5 months old and I never turn it up very loud so I know I didnt blow any speakers or fry my amp.

The only place I haven't checked connections is behind my (1 year old) kenwood stereo. Would my problem be a connection into the back of the stereo? Thanks guys I really appreciate it!

PS (The subs never cut out while doing this)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think you need to pull the HU out and jiggle the RCA's. I'm thinking the RCA's might be grounding out against the frame creating some serious noise. You can wrap the RCA connection point with some tape just to make sure that doesn't happen. Maybe it helps, maybe not.

·
Registered
183 Posts
There’s something mechanical, maybe shortening maybe loosening.
First of all, do check ground and power wires, especially battery terminals.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Definitely sounds like a bad RCA. Either the connections are loose behind the dash, or they have a break in the jacket someplace that is shorting out. Since you already pulled the cables and re-routed, I'm going to suggest pulling the deck as you planned and possibly replacing the RCAs altogether.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts