DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is from the Focal TN-52 spec sheet, can anyone interpret this for me? In particular what is that big hump after a 1000 Hz? Also anything else of interest that you might see.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the bottom line is the drivers impedence across the frequency spectrum- the grey line that slopes down off of the black line is the off axis response.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
SPL is around 93-94db
Off axis is in grey.
On axis in in black.
Imp. rise at 2k hz.
Looks to be a 6ohm driver, Frequency dependant.
Lack of anything really under 2k hz.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Several thoughts...

Focal frequency response plots are notorious for excessive smoothing... so in reality they're not usually as smooth as they appear in real life. Also, that response will be completely different when used in the car.

The big hump you see in the impedance curve is normal, and that's the resonant frequency of the driver. It's actually fairly mild, which would indicate ferrofluid being used. The smaller ripple you see at 6khz could be cone breakup or something funny going on with the rear enclosure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
npdang said:
Several thoughts...

Focal frequency response plots are notorious for excessive smoothing... so in reality they're not usually as smooth as they appear in real life. Also, that response will be completely different when used in the car.

The big hump you see in the impedance curve is normal, and that's the resonant frequency of the driver. It's actually fairly mild, which would indicate ferrofluid being used. The smaller ripple you see at 6khz could be cone breakup or something funny going on with the rear enclosure.
excessive smoothing huh? hmm... Have you ever tested the TN-52's? If not would you be willing to?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Unfortunately, wouldn't have the time right now to test the tn-52.

The tn51 I did test awhile ago, and it had 2 severe bumps at 3khz and at 10khz that didn't show up on the Focal plots. The same with the Utopia 6w2 which had a more severe cone breakup at 3khz than advertised.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
npdang said:
Unfortunately, wouldn't have the time right now to test the tn-52.

The tn51 I did test awhile ago, and it had 2 severe bumps at 3khz and at 10khz that didn't show up on the Focal plots. The same with the Utopia 6w2 which had a more severe cone breakup at 3khz than advertised.
Which tweeter do you think would be a good replacement for the TN-52? I would like to use the same mounting locations but if I can't it wouldn't kill me. I really don't feel like building kicks right now nor heavily modifying my door panels so that rules out ribbons right now. My budget is about $100-$175, they will be run actively through my pxa-h700 and I have 80 watts available for them.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ive really been wanting to try some LPG 26NA's with some Focals!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts