DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to say thanks first for anyone whom is willing to try to help me. i am new to the whole active front stage and want to try it out. i know my current equipment isnt that great but it is what i have to work with. this stuff is in/will be going in a 04 chevy avalanche. right now i have a panasonic 7200u in dash dvd player, cadence components up front and 2 orion 10" p series subs. as for amps i have a jbl 180.2 and 1200.1 running them. i recently acquired a set of RE xxx 6.5's in a trade. i have always heard about how good active is and was wanting to ditch the cadences and put together an active set-up using the xxx's. i have a jbl80.2 (40x2) to power the tweeters(i still have yet to decide on which ones to get). but my main question is what would be a good inexpensive active crossover to use with this stuff? or am i just wasting my time? thanks again.

·
Registered
531 Posts
check ebay for:

audiocontrol 2xs, 3xs, 4xs, 24xs....

coustic xm-1, xm-3, xm-5, xm-7....

you may want to expand in the future and some of those will let you do that...but some are just standard 2 ways....

not wasting your time at all....active is an awesome way to go....

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
easiest way

just get a new deeck that has 3 way crossovers

kenwood excleon or xxv-01d
alpine 9835 (no 05 series)
clarion dxz955mc
pioneer p860mp

etc etc

just makes it a ton easier

tweets on set of rcas
mids on another set of rcas
subs on last set of rcas

·
Registered
265 Posts
Unfortunately I think mihklo doesn't want to give up his indash DVD player :)

An external active crossover is probably the cheaper alternative.

David

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
xDeLiRiOuSx said:
Unfortunately I think mihklo doesn't want to give up his indash DVD player :)

An external active crossover is probably the cheaper alternative.

David
exactly, i know it would be easier to get a new head unit, but for the 400 bukcs i paid for this one i hate to get rid of it. those of yuo with wifes know it is hard enough to spend a few hundred bucks let alone over a thousand to get something better with a screen. thanks for the replies so far, they are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
531 Posts
search for audio control and audiocontrol....people spell it both ways :)

i imagine the new coustic's are good too....xm2, xm4, xm6....

check those out as well....

i just wouldn't waste money on visonik and audiobahn....but that's just me :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so it looks to me that the best way to go for my set-up would either be the audiocontrol 4xs or the coustic xm6. unfortunately no listings on ebay. anyone know a good reputable online dealer for the coustic.

i have 1 question about the AC. using the 4xs will the modules only allow my mids to play from say 90hz up to 3.5 khz? will it stop it from playing above the 3.5khz?

·
Registered
531 Posts
as far as i know....you can set whatever crossover points you want....

·
Registered
401 Posts
My knowledge of the Audio Control units is pretty limited. That being said, I don't believe the AC unit allows you to have any overlap in your crossover frequencies. That was one of the reasons I went with the TRU F-2A for my system.

TT

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TomT said:
My knowledge of the Audio Control units is pretty limited. That being said, I don't believe the AC unit allows you to have any overlap in your crossover frequencies. That was one of the reasons I went with the TRU F-2A for my system.

TT
thats what i hope, i can cross over my subs at @ 90 hz, then have the mids play from 90 up to 3 or 3.5khz then have the tweets take care of 3.5khz or so on up

·
Registered
531 Posts
yes....no overlap.

it will high and low pass off the point you select....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts