DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just asking if we can ban the use of Payment by PAYPAL GIFT. I know a lot of people are doing it now andI also know that very trust worthy members are doing it too.

I feel that there are way too many scammers out there and also that there are way too many errors that can occur by paying this way.

Since PAYPAL does not offer any reral type of insurance for this type of payment I think it would be in the best interest for everyone if we just banned it all together.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
DIYMA cannot enforce something that is totally out of their control. But publicly demanding the "GIFT" option as payment method, is just plain rude. IMHO this shouod be negotiated privately, between the 2 parties that are involved in the transaction. If the buyer gets shafted... he/she gambled and lost..

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
if you don't feel comfortable sending payment to someone then don't buy what they are selling. it's the seller's right to mandate what type of payment is accepted, not the buyer or this board. if you are that worried about it and want the item that bad then offer to pay the extra 3% and chances are pretty good your offer will be accepted.

caveat emptor.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Its against PayPal's rules to charge more for their fees or to use gift payments for other than their intended purpose. As I see it, the more often people use it for things that are clearly not gifts, the sooner they will yank the gift thing and stop being nice.

As I recall, it's already against the rules here though, due to some sort of legal issue where Paypal noticed a lot of fraud gift payments coming from here and threatened legal action.

There's reason #2 not to do it, if Paypal matches your IP or email or something like that to a post here talking about forsale stuff and matches the price, they have every legal and moral right so sue your ass. And nobody will feel bad for you defrauding them when you go to jail. It's totally theft, how would you feel if someone decided to steal your services?

I wouldn't do business with a seller who wanted gifts. It's called the costs of doing business. The buyer is supposed to be protected from the seller, and the paypal fees are the cost of doing business to the seller, which under no circumstances should be passed on the the consumer.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Its against PayPal's rules to charge more for their fees or to use gift payments for other than their intended purpose. As I see it, the more often people use it for things that are clearly not gifts, the sooner they will yank the gift thing and stop being nice.

As I recall, it's already against the rules here though, due to some sort of legal issue where Paypal noticed a lot of fraud gift payments coming from here and threatened legal action.

There's reason #2 not to do it, if Paypal matches your IP or email or something like that to a post here talking about forsale stuff and matches the price, they have every legal and moral right so sue your ass. And nobody will feel bad for you defrauding them when you go to jail. It's totally theft, how would you feel if someone decided to steal your services?

I wouldn't do business with a seller who wanted gifts. It's called the costs of doing business. The buyer is supposed to be protected from the seller, and the paypal fees are the cost of doing business to the seller, which under no circumstances should be passed on the the consumer.
Paypal isn't going to "sue your ass" for $3 of paypal fees you didn't pay, because technically you waive your right to buyer protection by using paypal gift. Paypal price gouges people like crazy and people are simply sick of it.

Paypal operates outside the laws that govern typical banks, and at their discretion, can block or hold your funds and transactions for absolutely no reason. They have frauded and scammed people more often than I care to mention. If you don't believe me, see the link below.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-claims/LETS-FILE-A-CLASS-ACTION-SUIT-AGAINST-BOTH-OF-THEM/m-p/202208/message-uid/202208#U202208

You want to know who the real thieves are? Look no further than the institutions you're defending.

I will continue to use and accept paypal gift with people I trust. I don't care if its against their terms of service or not. Both my cousin and I have been screwed enough times to know that they don't deserve a single dollar of fees for the shit they've put us through.

I'd rather pay the same fee using google checkout so I can accept any form of payment I want to instead of using paypal.

·
18,542 Posts
I put the option of gift out there as a dicount. I price with the 3% already rolled up and accounted for and say "or $xxx if sent as 'gift'". If the buyer wants to save 3% and pay via GIFT that's fine by me.

It's up the buyer/seller to make that call.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Paypal isn't going to "sue your ass" for $3 of paypal fees you didn't pay, because technically you waive your right to buyer protection by using paypal gift. Paypal price gouges people like crazy and people are simply sick of it.

Paypal operates outside the laws that govern typical banks, and at their discretion, can block or hold your funds and transactions for absolutely no reason. They have frauded and scammed people more often than I care to mention. If you don't believe me, see the link below.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-claims/LETS-FILE-A-CLASS-ACTION-SUIT-AGAINST-BOTH-OF-THEM/m-p/202208/message-uid/202208#U202208

You want to know who the real thieves are? Look no further than the institutions you're defending.

I will continue to use and accept paypal gift with people I trust. I don't care if its against their terms of service or not. Both my cousin and I have been screwed enough times to know that they don't deserve a single dollar of fees for the shit they've put us through.

I'd rather pay the same fee using google checkout so I can accept any form of payment I want to instead of using paypal.
x2 million!
I am sick of Ebay and I am definitely sick of PayPal.

I had another bad incident with PayPal just last week.
It began because of my mistake of choosing the wrong bank account to draw funds from while I was in a hurry.
I contacted the DIYMA member I paid and asked him to cancel the PayPal transaction and he did it immediately. I went back to PayPal and confirmed the money was refunded.
I then paid the member immediately using the right bank account and thought all was well. :laugh::laugh:
I couldn't be more wrong. :mean::mean:
Two days later I get a $35.00 insufficient funds charge from my bank because PayPal was still trying to process the transfer.
I contacted PayPal by phone and asked them why the hell they would continue to try to process and cancelled transaction.
The rep said they have no control over the process once it had begun and there's nothing they can do about it. :mad::mad:
But wait, it gets better!
The rep then told me that they will attempt to obtain the money from my bank account again in another two days and then again from my backup source in another two days after that and THERE"S NOTHING THEY CAN DO ABOUT IT OTHER THAN E-MAIL ME A SORRY LETTER THAT I CAN GIVE TO MY BANK IN HOPES OF THEM GETTING THE MULTIPLE $35.00 INSUFFICIENT FUNDS CHARGES DROPPED OR REDUCED!
I contacted by bank and they confirmed that I will be charged $35.00 for every attempt by PayPal regardless, so my options were to put funds into the account to cover it, pay $39.00 cancellation fee to block the charge, or close the account.
Well I wasn't about to let PayPal take my money for a cancelled transaction, and I sure as hell wasn't going to pay $39.00 to keep PayPal out of my wallet, so I cancelled the bank account and opened a new one.
What a f'n hassle. :bash::bash:
To stop PayPal from going to my backup source, I contacted Discover and had them lower my credit limit to zero to keep PayPal out of that one.
Just like clockwork, PayPal hit both accounts just like the rep said they would so I thought that was the end of it. ;)
NOPE!
Because the bank account wouldn't pay, PayPal locked my whole PayPal account because I no longer had a bank account they could count on and would not allow any transactions with the other sources I had listed on there until I resolved the problem.
I finally got the new bank account listed today after the confirmation waiting process.
WHAT A F'N NIGHTMARE ALL BECAUSE I WAS IN A HURRY! :rifle:

After all I went through to keep PayPal's greedy hands off my money, I will definitely work against them at every opportunity in my future transactions.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
5,225 Posts
I put the option of gift out there as a dicount. I price with the 3% already rolled up and accounted for and say "or $xxx if sent as 'gift'". If the buyer wants to save 3% and pay via GIFT that's fine by me.

It's up the buyer/seller to make that call.
x2 exactly the way to do it.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
i really would not have a problem with paying the 3% fee they charge if their actions warranted the profit, but they don't. as soon as they refund me the $650 i lost from someone shipping me three 2 liter bottles filled with water instead of the amps i paid for i'll be more than happy to again give them a profit, but i am not holding my breath. the seller provided a tracking number and paypal washed their hands of the matter. that type of service does not warrant a profit.

now the ebay scam, well that is a whole other ball of wax. you lose roughly 15% of the price your item sells for after paying ALL THREE fees - ebay insertion fee, ebay final value fee, paypal fee. that is just plain robbery.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I believe that it's up to the buyer to ask what payment method he wants. If you don't like it then don't purchase the item. Buying on this forum or any other forum is buyer beware and you need to do your homework before you shell out cash. Like PPI Art Collector I got shafted by paypal to! I sold a guy a Zapco Z400 and even though it showed as delivered they sided with him and gave him his money back and he kept my amp! Anything over $250 you have to have Signature confirmation to be covered. Paypal/eBay get plenty of my money from my sales and from other transactions I make on there! Hell, Paypal sent me an email "congratulating" me on $10,000 of buying and selling on there last year alone! And that's just buying and selling personal items like car audio! How much money do you think they got from all that? I ask for gifted payments and I will continue to... My buyers know I'm not going to send them 2-liter bottles filled with water. I repeat, If a buyer isn't comfortable dealing with gifted payments then they can simply move on. I do respect your opinion though and understand your concern and feelings on the subject.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
now the ebay scam, well that is a whole other ball of wax. you lose roughly 15% of the price your item sells for after paying ALL THREE fees - ebay insertion fee, ebay final value fee, paypal fee. that is just plain robbery.
x1000:mean:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Simple fact - most local auctions charge 10-20% of selling price as their fees. So the 15% total that eBay gets is bang on for what you should expect to pay at any other auction.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Simple fact - most local auctions charge 10-20% of selling price as their fees. So the 15% total that eBay gets is bang on for what you should expect to pay at any other auction.
Yep... It is but it doesn't make it any more fair. Ebay monopolizes by hitting you at every angle. I refunded a guy last week and they charged me 30 cents to refund a payment! wtf is that? im done with this thread... my opinion is that if you don't like sending gifted payments... don't.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Yep... It is but it doesn't make it any more fair. Ebay monopolizes by hitting you at every angle. I refunded a guy last week and they charged me 30 cents to refund a payment! wtf is that? im done with this thread... my opinion is that if you don't like sending gifted payments... don't.
RiDICULOUS!

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Sellers should pay it as that has always been the rule, but also if buyers dont mind payment being marked as gift and help the seller save 3% then that should also be okay. There are few thing that could go wrong and it might effect the paypal outcome.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Really 30 cents!!! I would just chalk it up as the cost of doing business. A cheap one at that.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts