DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Re: ID 1200.1 From Matt Borgardt (Not Happy)

FYI Guys!!

Not to dog anyone out, and i hope his gets his amp soon, but it don't matter if you send your money though paypal as "gift" or not! You could still get your money back. It happend to me before not to long ago and the guy got his money back!

I sold him high pressure fuel pump for Audi/VW and he calmed it was bad, paypal took his side of the story and put me on -350$! I had no choice but to return the money....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

FYI Guys!!

Not to dog anyone out, and i hope his gets his amp soon, but it don't matter if you send your money though paypal as "gift" or not! You could still get your money back. It happend to me before not to long ago and the guy got his money back!

I sold him high pressure fuel pump for Audi/VW and he calmed it was bad, paypal took his side of the story and put me on -350$! I had no choice but to return the money....
The only way to get it back is if you pay with your Credit Card. File a chargeback with them and it's over. The money is pulled directly from the recipient account and that's that. There is no recourse with a chargeback.

It happened to me a month and a half after a sale for +$800 on eBay.

Having gone through that I won't do that to someone. Two wrongs and all. Sometimes life isn't fair. That doesn't give you the right to be The Bigger Ass.

-T

·
Registered
238 Posts

great observation. :stupid:
Look, as far as I'm concerned, if you guys want to be idiots and send money as a "gift" to folks you don't know on the internet because you are too cheap to pay the PayPal fees and get the protection that PayPal offers, then you deserve what you get.

:laugh:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Look, as far as I'm concerned, if you guys want to be idiots and send money as a "gift" to folks you don't know on the internet because you are too cheap to pay the PayPal fees and get the protection that PayPal offers, then you deserve what you get.

Paying the PayPal fees does not actually protect you from a damn thing. You also have to meet all of the OTHER requirements and few if any of our transactions meet the criteria. Paying via PayPal without a credit card backing the transaction is, except in certain circumstances, equivalent to sending cash via FedEx overnight. Your only 'protection' is at their mercy and rarely results in you getting your money back.

PayPal protection is an illusion. Apparently you don't get that. Perform enough PayPal transactions and eventually you will.

Also, please refrain from the namecalling. Your point can be made without it.

-T

·
Registered
213 Posts

highly already covered what I was going to say not once... but twice now. In case you missed his point the first time he corrected you, let me rephrase. The majority of the people on here are like a family. With family you expect a great role of honesty and moral integrity. Especially with guys in the business who do it as a life profession. As for MB... this is the case. With that comes a sense of trust that people put into others like himself where things get done the right way no matter what. In this case enough trust to be able to make a straight payment over the internet, get your goods... and the worlds a happy place. Not paying more money to a bull$hit online banking business. Think of it this way.... some of these people have been buying and selling amps for over I'd say 4 or 5 years on this and other websites alike. Imagine if they had to be charged 3% on every single thing they sold... by now... they would have lost a good hunk of change. So for the whole sake of making more money... keeping a good reputation... etc. its better to be an honest hardworking man with a good reputation so that others trust enough that they can "gift" money to save a few bucks and expect the right thing to always be done.

·
Registered
176 Posts

This is an ignorant comment, paypal offers you zero protection as long as something is shipped and you receive a tracking number. Your are a fool for posting such nonsense. If you don't have anything informative to add, let alone give false information, I suggest you keep quiet.

Now, to protect yourself with paypal, it is important to use a credit for the transaction and it would be best if you had American express do the billing. They have a very long dispute period and actually investigate what happened. The paypal approach is to send an email to the seller informing them your the subject of a dispute, please handle it. If you bought something that was defective, damaged etc, but the seller shipped and provided tracking info, per paypals terms you are have no more case for dispute and you will not get your money back. I suggest you never use your bank to fund a transaction and always use a cc, too many dishonorable people out there.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

This is an ignorant comment, paypal offers you zero protection as long as something is shipped and you receive a tracking number. Your are a fool for posting such nonsense. If you don't have anything informative to add, let alone give false information, I suggest you keep quiet.

Now, to protect yourself with paypal, it is important to use a credit for the transaction and it would be best if you had American express do the billing. They have a very long dispute period and actually investigate what happened. The paypal approach is to send an email to the seller informing them your the subject of a dispute, please handle it. If you bought something that was defective, damaged etc, but the seller shipped and provided tracking info, per paypals terms you are have no more case for dispute and you will not get your money back. I suggest you never use your bank to fund a transaction and always use a cc, too many dishonorable people out there.

I agree with you 100% Yes what he said ^^^^^

·
Registered
238 Posts

On the PayPal issue...I do both...I pay the fees, and I always use American Express.

I've had one issue with a dud seller, and I got my money back.

PayPal will lock their account down.

Yes, you can get burned by PayPal - and that is where your credit card comes in handy. Some cards are better than others, and that is where American Express shines.

I understand how you guys are like family...I am active on many forums...and a mod on two...(Motorcycles and Mustangs are my other interests) and for the most part, guys that are part of an internet forum are usually pretty good characters.

With that said, there are always bad apples in the bushel.

It is unfortunate, but occasionally people are going to get burned.

You guys are already doing your part as a forum to mitigate that threat...feedback, mandatory picture, a "sales format", 50 post minimum, etc. are all great - but even with those protections in place, there are going to be guys that are not always honorable.

Going ahead and using the protections that PayPal offers, despite its flaws, and backing that up with a good credit card is probably the safest course of action when buying and selling stuff on the internet from folks you don't know.

If it wasn't an issue...this thread would not exist.

·
Registered
238 Posts

False.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/safe_online_shopping

I received a dual voice-coil sub, and one VC was burned out. The item was mis-represented. I opened a dispute. Seller said I burned it out. That was a lie. I returned the defective sub to the seller and sent PayPal the tracking number of the return, and provided them with photos of the sub. PayPal evaluated both of our stories, and they sided with me and locked his account down until he refunded my money.

·
Registered
202 Posts

On the PayPal issue...I do both...I pay the fees, and I always use American Express.

I've had one issue with a dud seller, and I got my money back.

PayPal will lock their account down.

Yes, you can get burned by PayPal - and that is where your credit card comes in handy. Some cards are better than others, and that is where American Express shines.

I understand how you guys are like family...I am active on many forums...and a mod on two...(Motorcycles and Mustangs are my other interests) and for the most part, guys that are part of an internet forum are usually pretty good characters.

With that said, there are always bad apples in the bushel.

It is unfortunate, but occasionally people are going to get burned.

You guys are already doing your part as a forum to mitigate that threat...feedback, mandatory picture, a "sales format", 50 post minimum, etc. are all great - but even with those protections in place, there are going to be guys that are not always honorable.

Going ahead and using the protections that PayPal offers, despite its flaws, and backing that up with a good credit card is probably the safest course of action when buying and selling stuff on the internet from folks you don't know.

If it wasn't an issue...this thread would not exist.
how does the credit card work with paypal? i've a verified credit card on file with paypal but never had to use it. can i sent money or purchase something and pay with paypal and the funds will be charged to my credit card? is it how it works? excuse my ignorance.

·
Registered
238 Posts

how does the credit card work with paypal? i've a verified credit card on file with paypal but never had to use it. can i sent money or purchase something and pay with paypal and the funds will be charged to my credit card? is it how it works? excuse my ignorance.
Exactly.

PayPal defaults to wanting to take money out of your bank account. You have to manually select your credit card.

·
Registered
176 Posts

False.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/safe_online_shopping

I received a dual voice-coil sub, and one VC was burned out. The item was mis-represented. I opened a dispute. Seller said I burned it out. That was a lie. I returned the defective sub to the seller and sent PayPal the tracking number of the return, and provided them with photos of the sub. PayPal evaluated both of our stories, and they sided with me and locked his account down until he refunded my money.
There was NOTHING informative or enlightening in that post.

It tells you to dispute an item that is not as described.

It tells you to try to work it out with the seller "because the seller wants you to be happy, its in their interest."

Im not sure how you "returned" the sub, did you have an rma, or you just paid someone to ship it back hoping paypal would grace you with the benefit of doubt? Please provide details.

In any event, dont rely on paypal to settle your dispute, be proactive, never use you bank account. Paypal has 45 days to settle a dispute, after that you are SOL, AMEX gives you months.

Not trying to be rude, but your misrepresenting the protection paypal offers.

·
Registered
238 Posts

There was NOTHING informative or enlightening in that post.

It tells you to dispute an item that is not as described.

It tells you to try to work it out with the seller "because the seller wants you to be happy, its in their interest."

Im not sure how you "returned" the sub, did you have an rma, or you just paid someone to ship it back hoping paypal would grace you with the benefit of doubt? Please provide details.

In any event, dont rely on paypal to settle your dispute, be proactive, never use you bank account. Paypal has 45 days to settle a dispute, after that you are SOL, AMEX gives you months.

Not trying to be rude, but your misrepresenting the protection paypal offers.
PM sent so the thread stays on-topic.

·
Registered
12,010 Posts

I've tried a charge back with paypal... I've tried opening a claim... nothing works because it was gifted money. Needless to say idc if you have 200000000+ Positive Itrader Feedbacks... Im never gifting sh1t to a person again.
gifting was never meant to be a commerce solution. people abuse it and get stung. it sucks, but that is why paypal wont do crap for gifted transactions. because there is not supposed to be merchandise associated. people need to quit being cheap and pay the extra 3% to the seller and then they will be protected. when I sell stuff, I pad my "shipping and handling" for the 3%. no questions, no problems.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

gifting was never meant to be a commerce solution. people abuse it and get stung. it sucks, but that is why paypal wont do crap for gifted transactions. because there is not supposed to be merchandise associated. people need to quit being cheap and pay the extra 3% to the seller and then they will be protected. when I sell stuff, I pad my "shipping and handling" for the 3%. no questions, no problems.
Keep it OT guys. The gift debate belongs elsewhere.
Off Topic.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

Keep it OT guys. The gift debate belongs elsewhere.
Sorry Erin,

I can't keep this in any longer

I thought asking for PP gift, or saying that you need to add 3% to the total price, was against the rules here?? IMO it's ridiculous.

Include the frigging fees into your asking price for the item you're selling, Again I thought this was one of the selling rules, if not it should be implemented.

Are people seriously worried about $3 on every hundred, give me a F'N break.

I will say that I have always though very highly of Matt.. I honestly can't see him doing this without some logical reason behind it.

DON'T EVER make a transaction with someone that whats Funds as a Gift, there should be a sticky in the sellers section especially for our newer members.

I certainly wouldn't be playing silly games shipping money to friends, and other such nonsense, that seems really fishy to me.

I bought something from a member here, same idea he was always shown as being online, is this an issue with the site software??

I actually had to open a dispute with Paypal, they ruled in my favor, I was reimbursed. He later messaged me and said that his Father died, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

I can't imagine someone making up a story about the death of a family member as an excuse for non shipment,and poor communication.

Sometime shit happens in life, I hope that Matt has a logical excuse for this.... I truly hope it works out for all the party's involved!!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
this whole thread is kinda pointless now. people whined about sellers using their right to choose the methods of payment they would accept and a "rule" was put into place that you cannot publicly ask for payment as a paypal gift. take a look at the fs section and you will find many threads started well after this "rule" was put into place doing just that - asking for gift payments.

if someone wants to buy something used (or new in some cases) for less than retail price then pay the extra 3% and deduct it from the substantial savings you are getting by not buying retail. the seller is probably already taking a loss on their initial investment, why should they be forced to take a bigger loss because the buyer doesn't want to buy/pay retail? it doesn't matter if it is 3% or 1% or 20%, fees are fees. god forbid you charge anything for packing material or handling costs or gas/wear on your vehicle or your time in getting it to the shipping place. i've had buyers send me emails asking why i charged $10 for shipping when the postage label "clearly shows" the actual shipping only cost was $9.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
this whole thread is kinda pointless now. people whined about sellers using their right to choose the methods of payment they would accept and a "rule" was put into place that you cannot publicly ask for payment as a paypal gift. take a look at the fs section and you will find many threads started well after this "rule" was put into place doing just that - asking for gift payments.

if someone wants to buy something used (or new in some cases) for less than retail price then pay the extra 3% and deduct it from the substantial savings you are getting by not buying retail. the seller is probably already taking a loss on their initial investment, why should they be forced to take a bigger loss because the buyer doesn't want to buy/pay retail? it doesn't matter if it is 3% or 1% or 20%, fees are fees. god forbid you charge anything for packing material or handling costs or gas/wear on your vehicle or your time in getting it to the shipping place. i've had buyers send me emails asking why i charged $10 for shipping when the postage label "clearly shows" the actual shipping only cost was $9.
Very good points.
We used to call it, "Shipping and Handling" for the very reasons you've laid out so well.

Nineball, or any member for that matter, do me a favor and report the classified thread if you find the gifting requirement in it.
I catch them now and then but I can't be on here every minute of the day.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Nineball, or any member for that matter, do me a favor and report the classified thread if you find the gifting requirement in it.
I catch them now and then but I can't be on here every minute of the day.

naaa :) i did that in the past and it never changed a thing. isn't that what you mods get paid for? :p

81 - 100 of 102 Posts