DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It always seems we dwell on what it is you want to do to make a system sound good and look good after installed. Seeing as how we are getting more new members than ever would it be possible to have a sub forum or at least a sticky at the top of each forum illustrating what NOT to do.

We have all made mistakes over the years and some can be dangerous due to the use of electricity and such. I just thought it would nice to have with photos so that the newer members can get a well rounded idea that it is a fun hobby, but also has to be a safe one as well.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
It always seems we dwell on what it is you want to do to make a system sound good and look good after installed. Seeing as how we are getting more new members than ever would it be possible to have a sub forum or at least a sticky at the top of each forum illustrating what NOT to do.

We have all made mistakes over the years and some can be dangerous due to the use of electricity and such. I just thought it would nice to have with photos so that the newer members can get a well rounded idea that it is a fun hobby, but also has to be a safe one as well.
So pictures of things like hooking up a battery charger backwards while it's plugged in or shorting a 10" adjustable wrench across the terminals? Or maybe running someone's hand through a table saw? Or routing MDF rings without a table by clamping the router between your knees so you can use both hands?

You provide the pictures and I will do the writeups!
LOL
:D

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Very nice! Do you happen to know the conditions that led to the failure? Amplifier rating/ battery voltage around the time of failure/ wire gauge? That appears to be an excellent illustration of Ohm's Law in action.

·
Registered
204 Posts
:rolleyes: It is quite amazing that you all were able to put together a collage of my best work....:rolleyes:

Forgot to add, take watches and jewelry off when working on power...especially under the hood. If you don't pay attention, the next thing you may see is your boss attacking your ring finger with a set of lineman pliers(crimpers)

Actually had to perform the emergency ring extraction on a fellow employee back in 95 or 96, I heard the pop, then expected to here the wrench hit the ground, when it wrench did not clang on the floor, I snatched up my pliers and ran over to see the dipshit with his wedding band welded between the end of the wrench and a fender bolt. Had to whack the wrench and snip the bright orange ring off his finger....I really wish it would have smelled more like BBQ. Pretty gross, I could see bone!!!:knife:

·
5,219 Posts
The subject of what not to do in car audio is too broad. Ideally, we would have more write ups on specific topics, and in those write ups could be the "what not to do" list.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The subject of what not to do in car audio is too broad. Ideally, we would have more write ups on specific topics, and in those write ups could be the "what not to do" list.
I think the list of how-to writeups is down to 'How to strip wire' and 'How to shop on the Internet' at this point, isn't it? They just aren't all stickies.

·
5,219 Posts
Well, I was thinking like how to wire a standard HU, integrating with OEM electronics, wiring amp, upgrading gauge wire, etc. Then these could all include what not to do, either by the person making the how-to or by a poster in the thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts