DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current setup that I am working on consists of this so far, and was wondering about adding some horns and was wondering if this was feasible.

I have a 2006 Ford F150 Super Cab

Head Unit - Alpine INA-W910
Processor - Alpine H800
Hertz MLK mille 3-way
(6.5" ML1600 powered by Arc Audio SE2300 - 300wrms x 2 @ 4 ohms, mounted in bottom of door)
(3" ML700 and ML 280 tweeter both powered by Zed Dreadnought 225Wrms X 4 @ 4 ohms, mounted in kick panels)
JL Audio stealth box 10" sub powered by JL 500/1

was thinking of adding a pair of ID mini horns mounted under dash and being powered by Audison LRx 2.250 (125w X 2 @ 4 ohms) not sure what that equates to at 8 ohms and if amp is capable of 8 ohms???

Question is would I benefit with horns, can you run horns with tweeters, and what would be a good 8 ohm amp for the horns????

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
why do you want to add horns is the 1st question

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
reason being was someone suggested that if I wanted my previous system to be louder with in your face hair splitting sound to add some horns, so as I was re-doing my newer system I thought I would look into adding some...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok I guess best thing to is wait till I get my system in, listen to it and decide and go from there, I just thought it would be easier to do it all at once while it was being installed, but since I already supposedly have a nice sounding set of Hertz tweeters, then I'm porobably not going to need a set of horns

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I would also suggest that you will have a hard time getting those hertz to keep up. if I remember right, those are not very efficient midbass at all. HLCD are in the 108 dB 1w/1m region. pairing that with a 84dB midbass will never work. you wuold need 500 watts of midbass power and 25 watts for the horns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ratings on the hertz midbass are rated at 93db sensitivity, so they should probably sound better to what I see people running like the Image dynamics CTX65CS which are only 89db plus hertz will handle more power..

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
ratings on the hertz midbass are rated at 93db sensitivity, so they should probably sound better to what I see people running like the Image dynamics CTX65CS which are only 89db plus hertz will handle more power..
Sensitivity rating on the ML1600 is 89dB 1w/1m (93dB 2.83V) - so not really efficient.

To give you an idea:
RMS - Sensitivity
640w - 89dB
320w - 92dB
160w - 95dB
80w - 98dB
40w - 101dB
20w - 104dB
10w - 107dB

So you'll need about 640w is you send 10w to your horns if you keep your ML1600 <-- good luck with that ;)
And yes, horns' real sensitivity are rated @ 1w/1m

Kelvin

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I might add, the CTX IDs are the entry level IDs. (mediocre at best, IMHO) the XS series are 93dB 1w/1m and much more in line, cost wise, with your hertz.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
no when using a horn you need a really good midbass speaker. using a midrange and tweet is not needed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
IMHO, by using "Passive Equalizer", you don't have to worry again about what kind of midbass that you will use.

Any sensitivity of midbass (89dB, 90dB, 91dB, 92dB, 93dB, etc...) will be suit to play with horns.

You should try to use "Passive Equalizer".

Thank you.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
That passive eq idea is dumb. It negates the whole point of having a high efficient horn in the first place.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
Which xS are 93 dB 1w/1m?

And the passive EQ can work really well. There were a few world championships won using some passive EQ circuits...mostly line level before the amps though.

But any EQing is going to reduce the system efficiency to a degree if you want a flat response.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if you say so. they play well down to 55 hz in my escape.

Even on deck power (20watts) you can feel snare drum pops in your chest and kick drums on your leg.

I understand irons law and am certainly not suggesting that they break it, lol. 93dB is not so crazy sensitive that it doesnt work for midbass. contact horsemanwill and ask him as well. he runs dual x65s with his HLCD setup.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts