DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DIYers,

Looking for preferred methods of terminating - using RCAs both ends, stereo pair. Shield used? Making 3 stereo runs @ ~ 15'.

Jim

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Yes always use the shield.. It can be shared between the two channels, then double up 2 conductors per tip. The star quad is intended for balanced operation for maximum common mode rejection. IF the amp impedance is very high and you are driving with a low impedance source at a high voltage the chance of crosstalk is there, although slim.

Best bet is to run 1 per channel. Honestly a quad cable is not the best for a permanent install as the conductors in parallel will add to the capacitance of the cable. I prefer an install grade cable such as gepco 61801 (single pair) or 61802 (dual pair) or the belden equivalent. They have a drain conductor and a 100% foil shield. It's a damn good cable with low capacitance, especially at $.20 a foot RETAIL!

Star quad is intended to take a lot of ABUSE on stage, it ain't gonna see much abuse sitting under your door sill molding, unless, of course, it's for bling :)

Chad

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chad. Not exactly what I was hoping as I just bought 80 ft of the star quad and a boatload of RCAs. I liked this option 'cause the cable dia was small for a stereo run. Have you used the Gepco 61801 in a car for unbalanced applications?

Jim

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Yes, it worked well, I also use it unbalanced live from my effects rack to the console and have never had RFI problems in over 15 years. Try it stereo, it should work OK, heck it's DIY right :)

Chad

·
Registered
397 Posts
any good online sources of hi quality but affordable cables for DIY RCAs?

·
Registered
524 Posts
chad said:
Best bet is to run 1 per channel. Honestly a quad cable is not the best for a permanent install as the conductors in parallel will add to the capacitance of the cable. I prefer an install grade cable such as gepco 61801 (single pair) or 61802 (dual pair) or the belden equivalent. They have a drain conductor and a 100% foil shield. It's a damn good cable with low capacitance, especially at $.20 a foot RETAIL!
Chad
This is exactly the question I had asked here.

Chad, Where did you buy this Gepco cable for that price? Do you happen to know Belden's equivelant?

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Gepco is sold predominately in 1000 ft EZ pull boxes and spools. The major consumer is pro A/V houses that do install work. I worked for a long time for a pro audio company here in town and they have every color of it under the sun. They buy such quantities that it becomes rather inexpensive. Check these places. Also ask if they have scrap, all my patch cables are made from remnants and that is sold for pennies, if not free. Often times you can get a 20-25' remnant from a big pull with a bunch of colors in it. I may have a few 8 pair bundles here soon from an install here at work, I'll keep all informed!

As for the Belden Equiv.... let me go look...

Belden 8451 ids the EZ strip like Gepco 61801EZ Tough Jacket, Foil shield, bare drain wire and a pair of conductors (red and black)

Lately I have been using a little Belden 9452, it is the same diameter, has a little softer jacket, more flexible and contains; jacket, Foil, drain then the pair (red/black) conductors are wrapped in cloth. The cloth can be torn by hand and permits easier flexing of cable. The signal pair seems to made of thinner gauge wire but having the same overall gauge making it more flexible also. The advantage is flexibility the disadvantage is that the rework time is longer because there is more steps involved in termination. The 61801/8451 is soooo easy to work that I don't even recommend strippers, just score the jacket snap it in either direction pull, shuck the foil and do the same for the signal wires. I can have a chunk stripped and tinned in seconds.

It's damn good wire, I have used it under radio transmitters in broadcast studios and never had a problem with RFI as long as the signal paths are grounded properly. it does not have "bling status" but "bling" for me is worry free operation, low capacitance, and a 100% foil shield :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts