DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had alot of subs... sometimes i buy them to see how they sound and then sell them back online. Ive been through alpine's, rf's, jl's (even the 10w7), Image dynamics, p millers, to name a few...... but this is the thing, i bought a Clarion srm 3091 for $40... and till this day i cant find something that can touch its sq/spl content. Maybe not the loudest sub i have heard 300 rms, but best sounding to date for me. Any subs you guyz think might be up to par with the clarion other then critical mass(too much for my blood). I know it sounds crazy but sometimes i get music details from this sub that just has me in awe. Before this subwoofer, i never knew a sub can hit notes at so many different levels . Anyone had one of these?? anyone have one for sale?? very interested to get another one :) heres a pic

http://www.autohispania.com/images/TELENET/CLA02SRM3091.jpg

·
Registered
636 Posts
Have you tried any of the raw 'DIY' drivers?

Peerless, Dayton RF, or the DIYMA to name a few.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
never.... im actually doiing a system in my vw cabriolet convertible. VERY SMALL TRUNK... recommend me one of these and ill get it!!! it sounds crazy but i took my clarion out, so it wouldnt get stolen or worn out. If i can find another one.... i would get it in a heartbeat. im thinking of going with either 2 10's or 1 12'. im more of an sq guy... so what should i get??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sometimes you don't need a sub to be the best at one thing, but just be very good at everything. I have had quite a few of the big name subs, but they all seem to be missing something somewhere. Hopefully when I get the DIYMA's, my never ending sub search will be over :)

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
i think this goes perfectly with what i think happens...ive done the same thing and for some reason...that special speaker just "works". I think that its just up to the car and the interior.

Sometimes things just seem to click...maybe that is why so many different people say totally different things about the same mid/tweeter/woofer etc... I think its really noticed when people like myself dont have a huge eq and are limited with tuning. Ive moved a setup from one car to another and the 2 sounds were black/white. Although reviews can help give an idea of what to expect, I am learning that something that works for others may not work for me.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
*Edit*

What kind of criteria do you have for your new install? Depth issues? Cubic feet issues? Impedance issues?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah.. that whole special car, sub and enclosure working all together mysteriously so well is true :)

My whole trunk is about 35" x 30"..................and making the situation even worse is that its a convertible. I had the same car when i was 18, i went to a system shop down here in NY called infinity(great people) got me an earthquake amp, alpine type s bandpass, and a 200amp alternator, i was running it off a alpine cva 1005. I knew it wasnt going to be the best sounding.... but dude.... i wouldve rather busted out my walkman with my big ass sony headphones :rolleyes:... it was a total waste of money and i blame it completely on the fact that the car is a convertible. 7 years down the line and here i am with another one of these cars... and i havnt got a clue on how to get this working for me.
ohh yea and the clarion was in a stationwagen facing up.. with a bazooka PMILLER AMP!!!!!! haha it was supposed to be a budget build and it sounded way better then my friends alpine type r's with a dedicated bass amp. I remember me putting my clarion in his vw gti and watching the ending of Pearl Harbor..... we both agreed that the clarion was killing the type r. very detailed. heres a pic of the trunk in my car, i can practically look down at my trunk from the back seat.. i sometimes reach from the back seat to get things out of my trunk instead of opening the trunk.
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr304/cshulze/P1011030.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts