DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this on caraudio.com as well...

Built my first system back in May, months before I got my license. Couldnt even drive the car but I had a system! LOL

Anyway, I ended up with whats in my sig. I've been driving for almost 4 months now and want more. I've done all sorts of tuning and playing with settings over the months...

Heres the "problem" I used to have and what I wanted. I had a very crappy sony head unit and my speakers werent loud enough (without distortion) and the subs distorted at very high volumes. Also had to use a LOC because my head unit only had sub outputs, no front/rear for my 4 channel amp.

Heres how I fixed it. New JVC AHD-69 head unit w/ 4v front/sub outputs. Removed LOC. Bridged 4 x 60W rms amp that was powering front and rears, and is now powering only my front polks with roughly 130W RMS x 2. MUCH louder and clearer than before, all it needed was a bit more power. Subs are much clearer now too, my amp liked the higher preamp voltage of the new headunit vs my sony.

OK thats great and all, but.. you guys know how it is, I still want more. Christmas is soon and I cant think about anything else than car audio. I ride motocross and dont even want to spend much on my bike if not much.

So heres what I want now.

- Sound deadening. With the volume cranked I can hear my music outside my car with the windows up from probably 30-50 ft away. Not my subs, music. Thats obnoxious, not to mention how much SQ I may be losing.. also the rear half of my car rattles BAD. Gonna put those CLD tiles everywhere and maybe that foam stuff too. Still deciding on what deadener(s) to buy.. liquid, CLD tiles, MLV, CCF, etc..

- I dont have any rear speakers now! Well I do, but theyre sonys.. and they ****. Came free with the headunit from crutchfield. Main problem is when I bridged my amp, I lost power to my rear speakers.. what should I do? Bigger 4 channel amp? What the heck do I do with mine? Should I just hook up rears to headunit power? What 6.5 speakers would sound best back there? Totally open to suggestions here.

- Bass. I WANT MOAR. I currently have whats listed in my sig in a Sound Ordnance sealed box. Dont get me wrong it is loud.. even louder with my rear seat folded down, but more power is always better. Tim Taylor was right all along. Heres what Im thinking.. Either get a bigger amp (along the lines of 1000W RMS) and get rid of mine, or... see if theres room in my tiny little trunk to build 2 custom enclosures, or find 2 that will fit, and buy 2 more 10s and another 8105d amp. 4 10's total and 250W RMS going to each one. Im also on the fence about a ported vs sealed box.

Also, if it matters.. I listen to more rock/metal/heavy metal music than rap. Just putting that out there if it helps you guys recommend what rear speakers I should get, or the whole ported vs sealed thing.

Thanks all, and sorry for the huge post.. :]

1995 Nissan 240SX
-Polk Audio DB6501 comps in front
-No rear speakers as of right now.. looking for something
-JVC AHD-69 Headunit
-Dual sealed box w/ Kenwood 10" subs.
-KAC-8105D amp powering subs
-KAC-8405 amp bridged right now powering polks.
-High output alternator + battery (big 3 upgrade soon)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Sound deadening: there has been enough posted about this. I did some research on all product, and it seems like if you plan to do more than a couple of doors, then raammat.com products are the best bang for buck. There is also a good tutorial on that site that you should read. I wouldn't go and do an all out treatment of the whole car, but I think the front doors and the trunk is something you have to do at very least.

Rears: Running rear speakers through head unit amplifier should be fine. Usually there is not much information coming out of them even with surround sound systems.

SQ: consider buying a DSP like JBL MS-8. With online prices having dropped just below $500, it's an incredible value. You can run your front stage active, real surround sound with logic 7, built in amp for rear speakers, automatic equalization and time alignment with microphones. I bet even your Polks could start singing like $300 speakers that run passive.

Bass: I have a different SQ perspective on bass, so it may not be that useful useful to you. I love my bass. I enjoy tight drums and well textured bass guitar. If you play Focal JM Labs Demo CDs 1, 4, and 6 I would say this is representative of the type of bass sound I like in my music. But it's not like I don't enjoy an occasional track loaded with thick heavy bass. Anyways, I am finding that a single high quality 12 inch subwoofer is plenty for a sedan. A 10 could work well but you lose efficiency. Given your tastes, if you care about SQ, try to have one quality SQL subwoofer instead of 4 crappy ones. One good example is Image Dynamics IDMAX. I'd say, get one, test it. If you don't like it, add a second one. If you know beforehand that you can't afford two of them, get two Image Dynamic IDQ v3 subs, and built a ported box. Based on everything I heard, this will give you pretty good sound pressure and sq.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Maybe I shouldve put some kind of budget as I dont have a job right now =\

350 bucks max to solve my bass "problem* and for the sound deadening. You guys are saying my rears are fine and to just hook em up to headunit power, Im OK with that since the only reason I have them to begin with is for passengers.

So it sounds like my rear speakers arent important, which is what I thought. I couldnt hear them before anyway because I had to keep the gain settings low for the crappy sonys. I believe the polks are clearer because theres 2x as much power going to them now as before and I finally set my gains using a DMM.. they were way too low!!

I cant stop thinking about how 4 10's would look in my trunk. I can get another one of the kenwood 8105d amp + 2 of the same subs for 200$ bucks, all new.

Yes I know the sound deadening topic has been beaten to death, and from how it sounds, I just need to choose a decent deadener and stick to it. At this point its between second skin damplifier and SDS CLD tiles. The second skin stuff is cheaper $$ wise.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No more suggestions?

I have burned the hell out of my fingers tonight on my soldering iron. It hurt for about 3 hours then finally went numb.. thank god. I was on the border about going to the ER.

Anyway... so since the rear stage isnt important, all I have is a front stage that matters really. I listen to mainly Rock and some rap every once in a while and I love my music LOUD. As loud as I can get it without distortion, typically about 40/50 on my headunit.

My polks sound great but can be a tad harsh at times. My new headunit has a 7 band EQ, any suggestions on adjustments I could make to help with the tweeters being so harsh? My midbass also isnt great, maybe sound deadening my doors will help?

As for the sub stage... Im still considering somehow fitting 4 of the same 10"s in my tiny trunk in a sealed box. If I do that, Im going to build my own box with the help of my dad. I suck at working with wood but hes good at that kinda thing... I'm pretty sure I would get 2 more kenwood 2513s since theyre so cheap on ebay. 100$ for 2, refurbished. The big question is what do I power all 4 with. Theyre SVC so the amp would have to be 1 ohm capatible. Im thinking either one HUGE amp (1500W RMS) or another one of the amps I already have.. can get one refurbished on ebay for 100$. I would end up with 1000W RMS total. Double. 1500W RMS sounds better.. but I cant find anything in my price range, even used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts