DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Clarion XC6140 and a Wolfram o-2400.1d amp. I bought both for roughly $200 + tax each. The Wolfram I ordered a while back, and phoned to cancel the order shortly after.. but I ended up getting it on my doorstep yesterday anyways, so now I have both these amps. I guess I'll be selling/returning one, and keeping the other.

Here's my issue, I can find ANY information on either apart from the specs on their respective product pages. I would greatly appreciate some help figuring out which amp is better.

I will be using this with a kenwood dmx7706s deck, and a Dayton HO 12in subwoofer (@ 2 ohms).

·
Super Moderator
868 Posts
This might be a Captain Obvious question, but why didn't you research the Specs BEFORE buying them?

·
Registered
831 Posts

The wolfram looks like it has a lot more power, if you believe the numbers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This might be a Captain Obvious question, but why didn't you research the Specs BEFORE buying them?
Of course I did. I cancelled my preorder on the Wolfram one. I didn't want it. Then I bought the clarion one a few weeks ago. Wolfram sent me the order canccelled anyways.. That's why I have both. I already know they're both good amps. There's enough information available online for me to figure that much out, but there's no where near enough for me to make a comparison and figure out which one is better (for me). The clarion one SEEMS like the better SQ amp on paper, while the Wolfram one seems like a much better amp for higher SPL. While sq is primarily my goal, for all I know the Wolfram amp might have lower thd+n/higher snr at the same wattages that I'll probably be using. Sadly there's no graphs or enough data to tell me which one might be better. There's not even any consumer feedback or review of either that I can find online.. was really hoping to find someone who might know a thing or two about these amps that could point me in the right direction

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The wolfram looks like it has a lot more power, if you believe the numbers.
Their reputation is decent so I believe that the certificated dyno probably hits somewhere around rated. The korean full bridge amp it's based off of is pretty decent. It's obviously the better SPL amp but I'm looking to get the best SQ possible. The clarion one has very high dampering factor, something that these budget Chinese, korean and brazilian amps seem to lack, and also very good cea rated noise at 1w, which leads me to believe that the thd+ noise is very low and the snr very high throughout the whole power range if graphed out. So I guess the question is, what's more important, having good snr/thd+n across the whole power range or having the highest possible power capability at 1% thd+n or less? I think this would have been a much easier decision for me if these amps had graphs plotting the snr or thd+n at different power outputs but there's no such thing. I'm hoping there's someone out there who knows a thing or two about these specific amps that can point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
What sub are you using? The wolfram claims to put out almost 3 times the power of the older clarion. So depending on how much power your subs need would be the answer to your question.

·
Registered
8,100 Posts
Honestly, I'd probably keep the Wolfram. Though I don't think that particular amp has been put on the dyno, the rest of their amps that have been, whether prototype or actual production models, have done extremely well when tested. As far as durability over the long haul... remains to be seen, but haven't seen any complaints. They're Korean builds IIRC... that's a good thing. The Wolfram is a lot of power for the sub you're going to use. It would be a better match for two HO 12" 4ohm versions ran @ 2 ohm while keeping the amp away from its 1ohm limit for longevity.

On the other hand, that Clarion series is respectable for a SQ setup and measure to do exact rated if you can attain 14.4 volts. Not a power house, but good for modest setups. Their efficiency & THD numbers are impressive nonetheless. Wanted one paired with the 6 channel, but that was years ago. Don't like the terminals on them though. Very outdated!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What sub are you using? The wolfram claims to put out almost 3 times the power of the older clarion. So depending on how much power your subs need would be the answer to your question.
Dayton ho series dvc 12in, at 2 ohms. It's rated for 700w rms, and 1400w peak

1 - 9 of 9 Posts