DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can't Have SQ & SPL at the Same Time? BULLSHIT!!! 7.7 SQL System

Hello DIY-ers!

It's been a while sisnce I've posted, but I figure it's about time to get back into the forum a bit.

I have a new vehicle to do a build in since I completed the build in my BMW a few years ago.

The vehicle is a 2008 Range Rover Supercharged Westminster edition.

The system goals are as follows:

1). Sound Excellent

2). Image well from both front seats

3). Get LOUD (I want to break 150db at 33HZ)

4). Use a unique combination of high-end gear and unconventional install techniques

5). Be stealth most of the time; Be flashy when I wish

6). Accomplish all of this in steps

Here's a snapshot of the Speakers:

3-way AUDIOFROG GB fronts

2-way Boston Acoustics SPZ center

Three Sony XM-GS1 Supertweeters (L, C, R)

AUDIOFROG GS rear effects

Four JBL W12GTI MKII Subs

Three AUDIOFROG 12" gb Tailgate subs

JBL 660GTI Tailgate components

I'd love to delve into the system's details right here, but it's just too complex to describe in print. Please refer to the following attachment for reference.

I'd like your input on the following question, as well as anything else relating to the system design:

If this were your setup, would you add another source (Such as a PIONEER P99RS or SONY GS9)?

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: MASSIVE 7.7 SQL System in a Range Rover

Here's a snapshot of the Speakers:

3-way AUDIOFROG GB fronts

2-way Boston Acoustics SPZ center

Three Sony XM-GS1 Supertweeters (L, C, R)

AUDIOFROG GS rear effects

Four JBL W12GTI MKII Subs

Three AUDIOFROG 12" gb Tailgate subs

JBL 660GTI Tailgate components

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

Soooooooooooooooooo, you're going to have 3 different sets of subwoofers in the same vehicle? Am I reading those diagrams right?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Soooooooooooooooooo, you're going to have 3 different sets of subwoofers in the same vehicle? Am I reading those diagrams right?
In a sense. I've never been happy/satisfied/impressed with a traditional Midbass driver. I had four Dynaudio mw172's (2 in each front door) in my BMW and I still wasn't happy. They could keep up with my one W12GTI, but they weren't as authoritative as I like.

The AUDIOFROG 10's will function as both midbasses and subs; one will be mounted in each front door inside a specially fabricated .6 cu.ft. sealed enclosure.

The W12GTI 's will be the primary subs

The AUDIOFROG 12's will be for the Tailgate system: used only while partying/entertaining people outside the car. Only one 12 will play up to 150HZ to mate with the 660GTI's. (The Tailgate system can also be used on its own via Bluetooth input on the zapco ASP-L2 BT)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

I'm hoping to be able to compete in IASCA sound quality competitions while only running the two 10's for subs. That way all the bass will ACTUALLY be upfront.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
MASSIVE 7.7 SQL System in a Range Rover

Here's a revised infographic layout to look at as well as a pictographic overview that looks more traditionally laid out.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts

Chris doing the install on this massive system

·
Registered
5,635 Posts

Can not wait to hear your thoughts once all of this is installed and tuned. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Can not wait to hear your thoughts once all of this is installed and tuned. :)
Me too, Copper, me too. I'm kinda going out on a limb with the AUDIOFROG stuff, but it comes highly recommended, so I'm giving it a shot. I haven't yet heard AUDIOFROG speakers yet, but from what I've been told, they have the balls to get as loud as I need them to & do so with LOW distortion. Beyond that, I should be able to tune it to sound how I want.

Another thing in the frog's corner: I tend to like the high-end speakers that Andy Whemeyer has designed/managed/etc. If that holds true, I'll be GOLDEN with this set-up.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts

I think the tailgate subs are a cool idea but also that you'd get more output from the jbl subs and have way less complexity while doing it..imo of course because I totally want to see where this goes.

I haven't yet read the pdf and since I cant see I wonder if I even can..probably all pictures since you said you didn't want to explain in text. if you are planning to mate the audiofrog door subs to gb25/gb10 I think you will have major tuning issues and that it wont get nearly loud enough to keep up. if gb 40/15s using the sony tweeters where the gb15s roll off? that'd be a great set up.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts

another thing, if the jbl subs are sealed, you wont hit 150 db unless you way way overpower them and even then I really don't see it happening..mid 150s? absolutely..but 150 is a pretty tricky number sealed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I think the tailgate subs are a cool idea but also that you'd get more output from the jbl subs and have way less complexity while doing it..imo of course because I totally want to see where this goes.

I haven't yet read the pdf and since I cant see I wonder if I even can..probably all pictures since you said you didn't want to explain in text. if you are planning to mate the audiofrog door subs to gb25/gb10 I think you will have major tuning issues and that it wont get nearly loud enough to keep up. if gb 40/15s using the sony tweeters where the gb15s roll off? that'd be a great set up.
The PDF labeled "infographic" has no pictures; just diagrams & text.

I'm using the AF GB40's for midrange crossed at approx. 250HZ to the GB10D2 front subs. On the top end, I'm using the GB10 tweeters crossed to the sonys at 20khz-24khz. I'm thinking I shouldn't need a LOWPASS filter on the GB10 tweeters... what do you think? I went with the GB10 tweeters beaus they will fit in my oem locations better than the GB15's.

If I post a jpg would you be able to see that?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts

I will look at the infographic pdf..I'm totally blind so a jpg would actually be worse. but I get where you are coming from and theres enough description to make some sense of it..can you explain why you have focal and zapco amps and not all zapco? also, I really don't think two 3kd amps is enough for the jbls if sealed..if ported, probably about perfect. keep in mind the jbls will have a final 1.5 ohm load if you do two per 3kd.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts