DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size cap are people using on Focal TBM’s? I used these on my Focal TKMX’s…kinda hoping they can carry over but I haven’t done the math yet. Hoping someone has already done it.
Body jewelry Natural material Cable Jewellery Wire

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes…Helix DSP.3
Nick Wingate answered elsewhere that this should be ok for protection for the tweeter.

Reactions: MythosDreamLab

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes…Helix DSP.3
Nick Wingate answered elsewhere that this should be ok for protection for the tweeter.
Nick might have mentioned that, since they recommend the tweeter to be crossed over with LW 24DB at 5000Hz.
Dave

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
What size cap are people using on Focal TBM’s? I used these on my Focal TKMX’s…kinda hoping they can carry over but I haven’t done the math yet. Hoping someone has already done it.
View attachment 321535
Your protection cap isn’t a horrible idea, I would go for between 20-30mfd and most importantly use a polypropylene hi volt cap. That electrolytic cap you have in pic is garbage. It will have horrible insertion loss and hysteris distortion.

Use 250v or higher polypropylene bi-polar cap. Solen caps from PE or madisound are excellent choice.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Your protection cap isn’t a horrible idea, I would go for between 20-30mfd and most importantly use a polypropylene hi volt cap. That electrolytic cap you have in pic is garbage. It will have horrible insertion loss and hysteris distortion.

Use 250v or higher polypropylene bi-polar cap. Solen caps from PE or madisound are excellent choice.
Just know polypropelyne caps are MUCH physically larger.. I personally use Dayton Audio 25uf polypropelyne film capacitors... i do not know if there is any hard science behind them sounding better than electrolytics.. but when I spent hundreds of dollars on my tweeters i would rather know I have the best option rather than trying to dive deep in the science of an electrolytic being equal or not equal to a poly or film cap.. I know the poly caps work excellent so I run them. Problem solved.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Just know polypropelyne caps are MUCH physically larger.. I personally use Dayton Audio 25uf polypropelyne film capacitors... i do not know if there is any hard science behind them sounding better than electrolytics.. but when I spent hundreds of dollars on my tweeters i would rather know I have the best option rather than trying to dive deep in the science of an electrolytic being equal or not equal to a poly or film cap.. I know the poly caps work excellent so I run them. Problem solved.

Yeah , I used to build hundreds of passive crossovers in the 90s, I’ve done extensive passive crossover building and designing.

Poly is absolutely a must for a tweeter, and electrolytic cap works fine as a return cap in an 18sb or 24db network, but any inline caps need to be poly.

They simply switch faster. Much much faster. Meaning charge and discharge faster. A low volt electrolytic cap can charge quickly but can’t discharge quickly. It’s transient behavior is poor.
Being a resonant circuit, it’s vital.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts