DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing Two Rockford Fosgate 15" woofers with a r250x1 for each of them and I was thinking of installing a 1.5 Farad T-Spec cap before my distribution block. My block is a 1 to 4 and after I put the 15's in i am also adding two 12" fosgates so i figured the cap was the a good idea to add. Is it okay if i put it before the distribution block and then from the block hook up each amp? Also, would a ground block be a good idea for this since im going to have 3 grounds soon to be 4 once i get the amp or the 12's?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So even though I am going to have 4 woofers running ( two 15's and two 12's ) I should be cool? The battery in my car is only maybe two years old I believe... But I didnt want to Install without checking and I figured joining this website could give my access to people who could really help me and not just try to sell me stuff as they explain what a could do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So even though I am going to have 4 woofers running ( two 15's and two 12's ) I should be cool? The battery in my car is only maybe two years old I believe... But I didnt want to Install without checking and I figured joining this website could give my access to people who could really help me and not just try to sell me stuff as they explain what a could do.
Also can anyone answer me this:
Ground Distribution block?
Or Separate grounds for each amp?
I read a ground block and impact sound quality? what is that about?

·
Registered
990 Posts
I would suggest not running different sized drivers covering the same frequency range.

The distribution block would be fine as long as the central grounding point is good. Not going to matter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would suggest not running different sized drivers covering the same frequency range.

The distribution block would be fine as long as the central grounding point is good. Not going to matter.

I was actually debating running 10's instead of 12's so i can get those higher ranged bass tones and send anything lower than what the 10's are rated at to the 15's. Im not sure what I am going to do though. I am trying to get some unnecessary loud bass from my car, like so loud that you can barely sit in it when i turn it up enough. I have had many sound systems before this but since im growing up and its becoming less of a priority im trying to send myself off with a bang (or boom) haha

·
Registered
19,481 Posts
1) how much power do you have available from your amps?
2) theres almost never a need to install a capacitor
3) the whole "tight and higher bass from smaller woofers and low and loud bass from larger woofers" is a myth. as a matter of fact, a larger cone is better in almost every way (for sub woofers).

also, you want to get as loud as possible? do you have any box designing experience? the box is going to make or break you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SkizeR, I have some box building experience. The box which i have built for the 15's is sealed and built to what Fosgate says is the Idea air space, last time around with my Polk 12 the recommended air space was pretty good sound wise. Each of my amps I am going to be installing rms at 250. there are two of them. I have founded that 10's seem to give off pretty decent all around bass. More punchy than boomy in my opinion, My 12's that I had were both boomy and punch (if that makes sense) this will be my first time with 15's and i am very excited to install them however it wont be for another two weeks or so because I need to finish my box and I am going on vacation with family. the exact speaker in which i got is a RF 2ohm SVC 15" P1 woofer. i didnt want to go big and spend a lot and was originally going to get p2's but decided to save some money. they will be installed first and then a while after i will install a second set of woofers either 10's or 12's just because i want to.

This is my set up so far:

From the battery i have 4g wire (with inline fuse) running to a distro block (1 to 4). from there i have i believe 10g wire running to be put to each amp along with 10g wire.

right now i have all separate grounds but i think im going to switch that out for a ground distro block and establish a good common ground just for the sake of making it look pretty and efficiency.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
19,481 Posts
1) what amps. what make and model
2) if your really looking for output, forget sealed and go with a ported box
3) this "boom" and "punch" is pretty much 100% attributed to the box
4) common ground is better

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1) what amps. what make and model
2) if your really looking for output, forget sealed and go with a ported box
3) this "boom" and "punch" is pretty much 100% attributed to the box
4) common ground is better
Amps - Rockford Fosgate R250x1 Prime Series

·
Registered
19,481 Posts
do you have the equipment already? if not, you can do better for the money. if you do, no biggie

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You do not need a capacitor.
500 W RMS should be no problem for most stock electrical systems.
What year/model car?
What size is your alternator?
What size/type battery?

·
Registered
19,481 Posts
You do not need a capacitor.
500 W RMS should be no problem for most stock electrical systems.
What year/model car?
What size is your alternator?
What size/type battery?
with 500 watts, he wont need to bother with the alt or even battery

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2002 dodge Durango, im unsure of the size of the battery the alternator is stock. The battery is pretty huge i know that.

·
Registered
990 Posts
You don't need to worry about anything electrical. At the most maybe just an AGM battery, but same size will be fine.

You need a bit of a system redesign from what you're thinking here. Not sure 10ga to the amps is going to cut it for one. Also, you haven't posted up any specs for sub box size or anything like that.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I'm installing Two Rockford Fosgate 15" woofers with a r250x1 for each of them and I was thinking of installing a 1.5 Farad T-Spec cap before my distribution block. My block is a 1 to 4 and after I put the 15's in i am also adding two 12" fosgates so i figured the cap was the a good idea to add. Is it okay if i put it before the distribution block and then from the block hook up each amp? Also, would a ground block be a good idea for this since im going to have 3 grounds soon to be 4 once i get the amp or the 12's?
Go back to the drawing board..

Use a a pair of 15's or a pair of 12's but not both..

You don't need Four subwoofers, two 12's in a 4 cu ft vented enclosure will rattle your brain and the windows..

With only 1000 watts total and 1 to 4 wiring, you're just fine and don't need a cap.

If you do use a cap the cable that connects it to the amplifier MUST be no longer than 8", if you want the cap to work as intended..

What are you using to run the front speakers, how powerful is the main amp ?

Do you even use an amp for the front stage or is this just a bass heavy ghetto blaster ?

·
Registered
19,481 Posts
Go back to the drawing board..

Use a a pair of 15's or a pair of 12's but not both..

You don't need Four subwoofers, two 12's in a 4 cu ft vented enclosure will rattle your brain and the windows..

With only 1000 watts total and 1 to 4 wiring, you're just fine and don't need a cap.

If you do use a cap the cable that connects it to the amplifier MUST be no longer than 8", if you want the cap to work as intended..

What are you using to run the front speakers, how powerful is the main amp ?

Do you even use an amp for the front stage or is this just a bass heavy ghetto blaster ?
most likely the later

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My box is 16x16x33.5 the woofers fit perfectly with the trim rings to the millimeter. with the woofer in the internal air space is 1.58 which seems very low for a 15 but it is what fosgate said it sounds the bet tuned at so i just went with it. and yes, it is meant to be a ghetto bass blaster i do not have anything running my components in the front but i do have kicker components the 11ds652 model. None of this is expensive, just enough to make me happy. I may run amps to the components instead of installing more woofers. Or i might just do both. I know thats a lot but im doing it to be a little overboard with it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts