DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbe capacitor question here,,,,,,
I have been researching capacitor usage, it seems that if you have a unregulated power supply in the amp, a capacitor is the way to go.
The amps that I am using are Rockford Fosgate, I think that they are unregulated, not 100% shure on that.

I added up all of the watts stated on the birth certificates that I received with the amps and came up with 1500 watts.
At 500 watts per fared I need a 3 fared capacitor.
I just ordered a T-Spec V8-3DDC V8 Series 3.0 Farad Digital Capacitor with Voltmeter and Distribution block.

Some product descriptions say 4 gage in and out, and other descriptions say 1/0 gage in with a distribution block.
There are two different pictures of the cap also.
I called Metra and they didn't know witch it was.

The alternator in the car puts out 150 amps, the amperage draw from both amps according to the birth certificates at maximum output, could hit 150 amps.

Should I get a capacitor per an amp?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dude. TAKE IT BACK. But before you do? lets me tell you just how much power that thing has.

CHarge it up. Now. Just take off the car. And hook up the TUrn on lead to positive terminal. Watch that VOltage drop.

THEY ARE USELESS! They will even Blow up if you use them as a filter Dc Filter. Ask me how I know. :)

The worst part is? The amount of those you need to stiffen a 14.4v system? How about 500 of them. Think I am joking? I am not. Why? Cuz 90% of the capacity of the cap can not be used. To tell you how shity some of them are, use them as a DIY welder. Most can't even surpass those Chinese battery starters for current.

Dude, Take that $50 bucks, and invest in a Battery. ANY BATTERY.

Yes, even that Walmart Value Power battery will do HEAPS MORE than that CAP.

You want to REALLY see how Useless that thing is? Hook up ANY LOAD TO THE CAP. Try a Headlight bulb. Hell, try a TURN SIGNAL BULB same thing. EVEN AN LED ONE. Watch that Voltage meter.

Your BASIC amp can pull 100 Amps of on a transient. That cap is good for 15 Milliseconds before your battery takes over.

The Smart cap banks are better since they take their Caps and rail them inside to 240V or more, and then use DC-DC inverter to at least be good enough for a Transient. Bass attack. And they are only good for... Get this.. 20 amps max. So your Stock radio is going to love you! Even though the voltage is shit tons of noise since the output is not filtered either LOL. THAT"S WHAT YOUR BATTERY IS FOR LOL! Great designer hugh?

You know those Bat Caps or Xtreme caps, or really, Maxwell capacitors? They are worth something. Everything else is GARBAGE. You know what I use mine for? To hook hook up things too and the voltage meter. Other then that it is worthless.

To prove this? Start your car with a flat battery. It won't do shit. You need like 10 of those things to even do a damn thing to help your starter.

Now if it won't work for that where the Voltage dips down to 8V on a bad battery? It won't do CRAP on your amps.

You want to hear something else? If you run 0-AWG to your amps, it has been shown that wire at that size can carry as much as .5 farad of capacitance in the wire alone on a 25 foot run! Think about that!

There is ZERO REASON TO SPEND more then $1 on a cap per farad. A single Maxwell has 3000 Farad for $80 bucks. Sure you need at least 5 of them. (6 is best) But take a look at Big D's power setup. Dude has 48 of those things and STILL can't keep an amp at 14.4 on the voltage rail. He has a Power supply, A good bank of Batteries and it is still not enough.

Steve Meade may be the only guy who has a Dedicated DC power supply big enough to Test amps. And even then, His set up would benefit the most by using BatCaps.

If you got $50 bucks and want a KILLER 14.4 Upgrade and don't got much money? Use a Lithium Tool battery that has the High current cells. They self balance, and are made to handle 100 Amp Burst no problem. Learn how to wire that and its even better then a cap.

HELL EVEN the OLD SKOOL 14 volt Nicad packs will be better!

DO NOT SPEND A DIME ON THE CAP! TAKE IT BACK! A walmart Battery is $49.99. Hell, you can get one of those Lawn and tractor batteries for $20 dollars and be Heads and shoulders better than a cap.

For the LAST TIME.. Those "Stiffening" caps are made to STIFFEN some dudes walet. Not yours.

·
Registered
641 Posts
imickey,
Do you have a lot of copy and paste ready to go or do you really write that out every time :)

The only caps worth a damn are ones like XS Power Superbank with 500F capacity. But before spending money on a cap like this you want to upgrade your battery to a good AGM.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like I will pass on the capacitor,
I have a factory AGM battery in there now but I am thinking about upgrading to a NorthStar battery.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you already have agm replacing it won't help, unless you fit one with higher capacity. But you could run two.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,540 Posts
Newbe capacitor question here,,,,,,
I have been researching capacitor usage, it seems that if you have a unregulated power supply in the amp, a capacitor is the way to go.
The amps that I am using are Rockford Fosgate, I think that they are unregulated, not 100% shure on that.
Maybe research the amps next?

I have been researching...
You could research how much of those x-hunnert watts you are really using?

Then research the volts versus time that they can provide.
This last part is likely worth a go, and you need a calculator and a pencil.

The do not have to power an amp for minutes to stop headlight dimming, only for long enough for the voltage regulator to ask for more voltage.

And maybe research why some amps have capacitors are regulated supplies and some amps don't?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts