DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lost a tweet last weekend, so I plan not to make that mistake again so I want to put some caps inline with postive leads of my tweeters

have a few questions

1) is it better to locate the cap clsoer to the amp out, or closer to the actual tweeter

2) anyplace to buy them other than partsexpress? there shipping has gotten up to $8 for two caps???

3) what frequency cut off should the cap be set at 1000hz, 1800hz, etc etc.

I also was did some research and found this table for others use

http://colomar.com/Shavano/crossover12db.html

·
Registered
242 Posts
1. i don't think it really matters since it's just blocking the lower freq, Mine's near the tweeter. No probs.
2. solen, madisound, i think zalytron has caps too, can't remember off top. Also Nguyen (npdang) sells them too.
3. i would think it'll depend on your freq point and slope, The lower the better so it doesn't interfere. My twts are crossed at 2khz / 2.5 khz, still deciding what i like more. Mine's a 27ufd , which is a lil under 1000khz, if my memory servers me right.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Does anyone know if there's a disadvantage to having a capacitator inline? Does it change the way the tweeters sound at all? (assume you're crossing much than the rated capacitator).

David

·
Registered
242 Posts
from what i read / heard ( never a/b'd it myself though) that the difference is so small it's negligible.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
A cap is really only going to protect you if your electronic crossover fails, or from turn off/on pops and other noises.

Put the cap as close to the driver as possible. You won't hear a difference from an electronic xover provided it's the exact same response. Without a flat impedance curve, no guarantee of that especially if you cross too close to resonance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts