DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally going to try to use my Infinity Emit ribbons actively. I was told to xover them very high (5K) with a steep slope and use a cap in line. What type of cap and value should I think about to protect these tweeters?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Are they 8 ohm or 4 ohm?

I think the cap is acting like an additional HP filter, so you'd probably want the cap to cause roll off slightly below where you have the main xover point set.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
All they are meant to do is protect a delicate driver from stuff like turn on thumps. When used for protection only they should not influence the sound at all thus the high value which pushes the HP frequency way out of the tweeters usable frequency band.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I will tell you I blew a pair of EMITs accidentally testing them. I had the active filter set for 3.2KHz I think and it was not very loud, but both are dead.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are 4 ohm auto versions. I have heard they are very sensitive. I did hear them in a demo car years ago and loved them. My understanding was use very clean amplification, high xovors points, and everyone says have a cap in line for protection. I see old threads regarding caps, I just dont know if the caps change per driver discussed or can I just any cap on this tweeter. Also, what is the best way to wire them in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.