DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this might be fun, but maybe it won't take off w/e.

My current system has been a nightmare in a 04 honda civic. Ever since I added a dsp the system, it has been plagued with noise. Tried different rcas, ran them down the middle, the left, the right. I can't even count how many different grounding points for the amps/dsp/headunit. Upgraded my alternator (which ruled that out), tried completely different amps, dsps, headunits. Ran separate constant with a relay to trigger accessory for the headunit so it was isolated from the harness power. Changed battery to chassis ground to different points. I tried stuff that didn't make any sense just out of desperation.

During the pandemic, I ended up doing some unrelated wiring to the mirrors and discovered I had ran bad speaker wires.... Brand new wire, it was a clear jacket, but one side on each run was poking through most of the run and I never fking noticed... they were shorting to ground on brackets near the door boot.. embarrassing... but I learned a lot. A simple continuity test from the speaker wires to ground would have saved me so much headache.

My story isn't that great but I know you guys got some! It can be your car, customer cars and hopefully the solution lol.

· Registered
504 Posts
This pleasantly reminds me of this old thread

I put a head unit in my 2005 toyota tundra, a kenwood x998. Had my adapters and everything on hand and ready.

I got the dash ready and pulled the old radio...

Then my friend that had the electrical tools just went and clipped the original wiring harness and the bundle on the radios side was lost.

It took both of us 3 days with a multimeter trying to chase wires and get the stinking thing turned on I could NOT find wiring schematics for that trucks radio at the time. It was miserable lol

Several lessons were learned, especially cuz we blew a fuse at one point and that made us absolutely mad after we thought things were right

Life is life

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I sold a set of our new SE Audio ES-1 tweeters to a forum member. He was my first customer I sold a set to. I was very eager to get his feedback. He paired them with a pair of Audiofrog gb60 running everything off an Arc Audio SE4200 active. He had a "reputable" shop install the equipment and immediately was unhappy with the performance. He was experiencing very harsh performance from the tweeters as well as bloated midbass. I asked him to send me photos of the settings for the amplifier and what do you know? The "reputable" shop set the crossover for the tweeter channels to full range with 3 steps of bass boost turned on. They also set the crossover on the midbass channels to bandpass with the crossovers point at 30hz to 800hz. After one phone call explaining how to properly set the crossovers and gain he is now ecstatic with the setup. How does a "reputable" shop not understand the basics of setting up a crossover?!? It blows my mind.

Reactions: MythosDreamLab

· Registered
155 Posts
Short and sweet.

Attempted an IB build in a 2011 Hyundai Sonata....3 years of planning with my friend who was my co-installer and a decade plus in car audio experience. He gave me plenty of excellent input and ideas on how to try to best do IB....I agreed on everything BUT the second most important part. Subwoofer drivers. I went with a single (albeit phenomenal) 15 inch SI HST 15 instead of the initially agreed upon Dayton Ultimax 15s (2) receiving 1000 watts from the Audison av5.1k.....needless to say between the woofer weighing 84 lbs and the amp not being able to handle how I was driving it...it was an epic fail. Lesson learned.

It still vibrated the car down to the rivets but wasn't nearly the monster it could have been had I decided not to get cute with 2 of the vital components.

· Registered
2,639 Posts
the best example I can give is what happened to me several years back on one of my volvos. I had a shop do an install on the car. I always had issues with the install but I was green to car audio installation and sorta left well enough alone. Fast foward several years, I was selling the car and wanted it back to stock. Took it back to the original shop that did the install to pull it all out and return back. The car was in the bay for a while and the owner of the shop pulls me out and starts going through the list of the the things they found wrong with the install. Basically showing me the install was crappy and wondering who did the work. I had all the paper work and asked him to look at the original install sheet. The owner signed off as the installer all those years back. Back when the work was done, he was the supposed to be the shops best installer and ended up buying the shop later on. In a nut shell, he was bad mouthing his own work. After seeing the sheet and understanding that he and the shop did the work, he turned into an ass. Basically like get the car out of the shop, we are done with the work etc. Ive seen him a few other times and he never spoke to me again.

· Registered
504 Posts
the best example I can give is what happened to me several years back on one of my volvos. I had a shop do an install on the car. I always had issues with the install but I was green to car audio installation and sorta left well enough alone. Fast foward several years, I was selling the car and wanted it back to stock. Took it back to the original shop that did the install to pull it all out and return back. The car was in the bay for a while and the owner of the shop pulls me out and starts going through the list of the the things they found wrong with the install. Basically showing me the install was crappy and wondering who did the work. I had all the paper work and asked him to look at the original install sheet. The owner signed off as the installer all those years back. Back when the work was done, he was the supposed to be the shops best installer and ended up buying the shop later on. In a nut shell, he was bad mouthing his own work. After seeing the sheet and understanding that he and the shop did the work, he turned into an ass. Basically like get the car out of the shop, we are done with the work etc. Ive seen him a few other times and he never spoke to me again.
Quality customer service

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

· Registered
155 Posts

Jesus.

· Registered
2,639 Posts
another thing that I have learned. Really good shops have no issue taking you in the back and letting you see their work. I have a shop locally that is pretty good. They have no problem taking you back as they do an install. I was looking at a set of amps. This shop went as far as to call me and say we are doing an install on this date using the amps you were looking at. If you want to see them and hear the car when done, come around about this time.

· Registered
155 Posts
another thing that I have learned. Really good shops have no issue taking you in the back and letting you see their work. I have a shop locally that is pretty good. They have no problem taking you back as they do an install. I was looking at a set of amps. This shop went as far as to call me and say we are doing an install on this date using the amps you were looking at. If you want to see them and hear the car when done, come around about this time.

That's what I'm hoping to find

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.