DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to go pick up my 2017 Jeep Compass from the dealer for what I hoped was going to be a fixed keyless entry system (the proximity sensors were not working on any doors). It's somewhat of a sore subject, but basically in order to even have them diagnose my non-working keyless entry (buttons on remote work but doors/hatch do not unlock when I am close etc.) I had to order a new key fob and have them reprogram/code the fob for the car to the tune of $330.

I just got off the phone with the service manager and was informed that the new key fob did not fix the issue and that my large aftermarket audio install is the culprit of the keyless entry issues; the only "fix" would be to remove the aftermarket system (see my build thread).

He alluded to the fact that "excessive RF" from the large audio install was interfering with the function of the key fob's keyless proximity receivers/antennas. I didn't think that this would be a likely reason for the issues but then I saw a post on here about Class D amps causing interference with radio station reception so who knows (Radio interference from D class amps).

I recall the fob working for some time after the audio installation so I do not think this to be the case, but I figured I would ask on here to see if any installers or DIY guys/gals have run into a similar issue?

Thanks in advance for any responses,

Shawn

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmm... I'm not an expert here, but using my own common sense...when approaching the vehicle to engage the proximity sensor to unlock the doors, wouldn't your audio system be NOT powered up? If your audio equipment was producing that much RF interference wouldn't it not need to be drawing significant power?? (which means your battery would be dead every time you parked and came back LOL). My guesstimated 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have plenty of those sensors all over my car but doesn't have this issue (different car, different situation anyways). Maybe just for tests... unplug/remove all fuses to your stereo equipment to see if the proximity/sensors now work. Then put the fuses in and now remove one fuse or safely unplug the power cable to each audio equipment, one fuse/cable at a time, to narrow down which audio equipment that's interfering (and that might be the candidate to replace/swap). Or if you happen to know where are all these proximity sensors (from service manual or pictures/diagrams via a parts website), maybe wrap some aluminum foil (shielding) on these power/ground/audio/etc cables that are passing nearby these sensors.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses and highly logical suggestions. I was unable to sway the service manager with reason on this topic and unfortunately left with the same issue (but one additional key fob that I paid dearly for). I was assured that his his best technician (from Tesla!) was on this job and that the audio install was the cause of the issue.

I'll pull the fuses and check for my own sanity but I'm not positive that they would look at this as proof; He said that If I come back with all of my audio gear ripped out and with the problem is still there he will do something for me. I'm not sure if It is worth my time, perhaps I should just suck it up and think of it as a replacement for the next key I loose?

·
Registered
2016 GMC Sierra
222 Posts
As a 20 year dealer tech (Volkswagen) I feel that maybe a part of your install is blocking an antenna. Not sure how many antennas your vehicle has but it’s possible that an antenna is unplugged or blocked. See if you can find antenna locations online. Sometimes dealer techs like to give up before they start and blame aftermarket.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not exactly the same ... but in my previous vehicle, the trunk would intermittently pop itself open when off and parked/locked. I had my amps in the trunk. I would walk away from the car after locking it and sometimes i would hear it pop open. Other times I would return to the vehicle hours later to discover the trunk was popped, who knows for how long.

Never learned why - could only guess it had some relationship to the JL HD amps back there maybe blocking or reflecting a signal. Or maybe the car thought the amps were somehow my key fob and popped it open so I don’t lock the fob in the trunk. As I didn’t try too hard to figure it out, I used the glove box toggle switch that locks the trunk from popping.

In my new VW, KESSY keyless/proximity gestures stopped working for a few months and would incorrectly tell me the battery was draining so it’s cutting off stereo voltage (I tested it up down and sideways battery was not draining and equipment had remote leads set up correctly). Then one day these issues resolved themselves completely and everything works again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you fitted a USB phone adapter to your car, these can piss about with noise into your cars wiring, not sure if this would be able to affect gate fobs though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not exactly the same ... but in my previous vehicle, the trunk would intermittently pop itself open when off and parked/locked. I had my amps in the trunk. I would walk away from the car after locking it and sometimes i would hear it pop open. Other times I would return to the vehicle hours later to discover the trunk was popped, who knows for how long.

Never learned why - could only guess it had some relationship to the JL HD amps back there maybe blocking or reflecting a signal. Or maybe the car thought the amps were somehow my key fob and popped it open so I don’t lock the fob in the trunk. As I didn’t try too hard to figure it out, I used the glove box toggle switch that locks the trunk from popping.

In my new VW, KESSY keyless/proximity gestures stopped working for a few months and would incorrectly tell me the battery was draining so it’s cutting off stereo voltage (I tested it up down and sideways battery was not draining and equipment had remote leads set up correctly). Then one day these issues resolved themselves completely and everything works again.
I am using 2X JL 600/4's and a 1200/1 HD amp in the rear cargo area, so there is that commonality between our installs at least. But just like Kingby mentioned above, the amps should be in an idle state (12V switch isn't active until vehicle is on) when the car is parked/locked so I would imagine that the amps would be fairly "quiet" in terms of noise generation. If for some reason the amps weren't off (which I know they do turn off when the vehicle is) and were somehow generating sufficient RF to cause interference then I would expect to have issues with my batteries staying charged over longer periods of non-use.

Have you fitted a USB phone adapter to your car, these can piss about with noise into your cars wiring, not sure if this would be able to affect gate fobs though.
I currently have a USB 2.0-->3.0 adapter to power my Fiio M11 Pro as well as an excessively long Apple Lightning cable for my iPhone. The issue still persists without the USB 2.0-->3.0 adapter but I have not tried removing the Lightning cable from the mix. At one point in time all of this same gear was used in this install without any issues with the proximity sensors.

Removing the Amps/DSP and extra battery would be pretty easy/quick for me to do to prove that the install is not the issue. I'm hoping that this will be sufficient for the dealership and that they aren't expecting me to pull all of my speakers, wiring and sound treatment...

Thanks again for the responses!

Shawn

·
Registered
12 Posts
I currently have a USB 2.0-->3.0 adapter to power my Fiio M11 Pro as well as an excessively long Apple Lightning cable for my iPhone. The issue still persists without the USB 2.0-->3.0 adapter but I have not tried removing the Lightning cable from the mix. At one point in time all of this same gear was used in this install without any issues with the proximity sensors.

Removing the Amps/DSP and extra battery would be pretty easy/quick for me to do to prove that the install is not the issue. I'm hoping that this will be sufficient for the dealership and that they aren't expecting me to pull all of my speakers, wiring and sound treatment...

Thanks again for the responses!

Shawn
I see, let us know what will be their take on this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts