DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well its going to be a few weeks until I will have the time to install all of this crap. Out of sheer boredom yesterday, I decided to make a macro soft box out of amazon.com's finest cardboard. I'm not sure if there is a point to this other than thinking there may some more photographers on this forum that might be interested. Enough flappin, here's the pics.

My setup and helper/audience (sorry for the messy a$$ apartment)

The photos:

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice....love the images and they would work FABULOUSLY for a beautiful system diagram. I only wish I could take photographs this well (I dont even own a "real" camera).
Thanks a lot Kevin,

Photography is definitely a fun past time for me. The only thing is that almost every piece of car audio gear is reflective and black which makes for a tremendous challenge when doing flash photography.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great pics. Almost looks like a resume' for sonicelectronix. ;)
Ha ha! Thanks a lot!

This is just something I do for kicks. I have done a couple paying gigs and it just sucks all the fun out of it. I do think that a lot of these car audio components are nothing short of art when viewed through a macro lens.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Very nice. I just started getting into photography, picked my self up a Nikon D40 a few weeks ago. Neat little camera, and for an SLR it wasn't expensive at all, but then again it is entry level. It destroys my old PnS no question though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Very nice pics. I'm looking to pick up a macro lens soon. I'm glad my Sony is compatible with most older Minolta lenses. Makes for affordable photography.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Nice pics man! I too love photography, but it's just so damn expensive and addictive. IMO, worse than car audio.
BTW, what do you shoot with?

·
Administrator
2,486 Posts
Pics look great! I soooooooo suck at photography. I usually have the wife take the pics and they don't look anywhere near as good. I think things I have sold would have brought much more money if I had good pics.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice. I just started getting into photography, picked my self up a Nikon D40 a few weeks ago. Neat little camera, and for an SLR it wasn't expensive at all, but then again it is entry level. It destroys my old PnS no question though.
I have a D40 too, I usually keep a 50 f/1.4 on there and use it as my walk around camera. Even though it is entry level it is VERY capable. You definitely can't beat it for the price. Have fun with that little camera!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice pics man! I too love photography, but it's just so damn expensive and addictive. IMO, worse than car audio.
BTW, what do you shoot with?
I hear ya, it is a very expensive past time. I have (luckily) been able to offset some of the expenses by selling shots to magazines, but in no way have I broken even.

I shoot with a Nikon D90. In my opinion it is absolutely the best value in an SLR you can get right now. The lens collection I have amassed is a different story all together. On these shots I used two of my favorite lenses, a 105 f/2.8 macro and a 24-70 f/2.8. That macro lens is sweet!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pics look great! I soooooooo suck at photography. I usually have the wife take the pics and they don't look anywhere near as good. I think things I have sold would have brought much more money if I had good pics.
I hear ya man, up until a few years ago I was in the same boat. If you are ever selling anything you should try one of these diy soft boxes. They literally cost pennies to make and you can just throw a desk lamp on it and shoot it with whatever camera you have laying around.

like this

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
You know every hobby, career etc has its tricks and photography is one with a lot of tricks. I love your photographs and how they float, even with the shadows being cast onto a surface. Just stunning detail. I am sure you have tricks, such as the high quality cardboard, that help with the whole final product.:D

It reminds me of a photography trick I learned first hand. Drexel Heritage came to my house to shoot a line of furniture called European Retreat. In doing so, our terms of agreement on the contract were such that all walls were off limits for hanging pictures. The walls are 100 year old stucco and I cannot risk damaging them. They said no problem and I was curious how they were going to set up nice cozy shots. Well I found out in a hurry. They set up the scene with nothing on the walls. Took a photograph at some pre-set settings (all digital with laptop). After EACH shot....someone on the staff runs into the scene with a picture frame held to a wall or flower pot in a window or whatnot....and stands there with it. They then take a second (or third or fourth) photograph. Then the picture frame is cropped in the studio and inserted via photoshop for a final scene.

Pretty awesome!

Here is one of there low rez photographs from the web. Totally looks as though that picture frame is naturally there....but I know for sure...it is not!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
One of my friends is an amateur/pro (gets paid for magazine photos for BMX mags). I sent him the link and he liked your pics a lot. He said he'd give me a box like yours so I could take better pictures myself, lol.

A+ for the work, and for the idea for future picture taking.
Thanks a lot man! Good to see some photographers are still willing to extend a helpful hand to the lowly amateurs, lol. BMX photography is awesome! Thats actually how I developed an interest in this, back when I used to ride. Some of the night street shots those guys get with a single strobe are just awesome!

wow, nice pics. some of those are desktop worthy.
Thank you very much!

I saw dog hair on the terminal shot of the Legatias... What I am trying to say is, awesome detail!
Ha ha! I saw that dog hair winking at me too but was too lazy to edit it out. High resolution macro photography shows EVERYTHING! Thank you for the compliment!

EDIT: My OCD took over. Enough people have looked at this, so I decided I can't be lazy. Thanks to the magic of photoshop lightroom, the hair is gone.

·
18,421 Posts
Thanks a lot man! Good to see some photographers are still willing to extend a helpful hand to the lowly amateurs, lol. BMX photography is awesome! Thats actually how I developed an interest in this, back when I used to ride. Some of the night street shots those guys get with a single strobe are just awesome!
You may know him, then. Corey Martinez.

Yea, man, that's what got me into photography, but I lost interest pretty quickly. I do shoot now and then but never really kept at it. I bought a wide angle and a good external flash and never used the flash... wound up lending it to him and he borrows it most of the time now. :/

Anyway, nice pics!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts