DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, first post here :)

i need a little help in choosing a subwoofer for my car. i'm trying to get more of an sq setup more than spl. I just want it to sound great in my car and have decent impact.

my budget is maybe 400 for the subwoofer and amplifier. i'll be making the box myself out of 3/4 mdf. i think a 12 inch sub would be best but a 10 wouldnt be bad.

so heres the ones ive been looking at:

infinity kappa 120.9
price: $150

alpine type x 1243d
price: $268

jl audio w3v3
price: $190

image dynamic idq 12
price: $249

re audio sex 12
price: $157

any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

amp of choice: hifonics hfi1000.1D or 1500D

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Welcome to the site!

What type of music do you listen to?
How much room do you have for your enclosure? What type of vehicle?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Sealed? Ported?

What vehicle is this going into, & how much space do you have available?

What speakers will this be mating up with?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@fish
Sealed? Ported?

i would probably say sealed because thats what i heard is best for sq

What vehicle is this going into, & how much space do you have available?

its going into a Mitsubishi lancer (small 4 door car). not sure about space but i think 1-1.5 sq ft sealed box would leave me with a good amount of trunk space.

What speakers will this be mating up with?

probably polk db651 (slim mount for front door regular for rear deck)
or infinity reference

@jcollin76
What type of music do you listen to?
electronic and rock. sometimes rap

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I've ran a 12w3, and a pair of IDq 10's. I liked the ID's quite a bit... A very well rounded sub. The Jl's were nice, but not quite is articulate as the ID's imo.
Another option would be alpine type R's. They seem to be getting pretty good reviews, but I haven't used them.
I have always ran sealed enclosures, only because I don't have much experience with ported, and I make my own enclosures. Lol.... Easier for me, and more forgiving. But a well executed, and tuned ported system will sound very nice. Really one isn't better than the other, It's just how it's implemented.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@jcollin76
for a single sub do you think an idq 12 would be enough for my car? and have you ever tried re audio subs? their sex and sxx line looked pretty good.
thanks for the recommendations!

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Well it depends on your listening habits really.
I know you said your going for a sq setup, but I know I like a little volume too. Lol
Your musical tastes have some good low end to them. For a little more output, you could go ported with a single 12. But it could be enough for you.... It really depends on your taste, listening habits, and the driver/s you select.
The beauty of it is, buy one and if you like it, but not enough output... Get another.
You can always build a temp box (not finished ) to see what you think. Once you get settled on the number of drivers, box style, etc, then finish it up nice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright sounds good. i think i read that both the alpine type x's and re sex/sxx have good sq but also have a ton of output. might check those out :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah it got good reviews but ive read that it doesnt have good lower end extension. maybe they had a bad box/amp?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
With the type of music you listen to the RE looks like a good contender. And like mentioned above, try it in a sealed box (as large as you are willing to go) first & see what you think.

You may want to do some more searching on your door speakers. I haven't heard much about the Polk's, but I can tell you from experience the Infinity's should be overlooked. No midbass & harsh tweeters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@fish
thanks for the reply
ive been looking at new speakers and found a pair that looked good

re audio re65fr with sound dampening material for $59

anything thats less than $100 a pair that you would recommend?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@eazymoney

What type of sound are you looking for? Do you want "up in your face" or "neutral sound"

i think i prefer a more neutral sound. i dont want them to be harsh or overly loud

What type of cone material do you prefer? Aluminum? Paper? etc. etc.

i dont want it to be paper. anything that is durable and sounds nice i like.

Where will you be placing these speakers? As far as the mid goes, do you plan on housing it in the door in an IB instal, or are you going to either buy or fabricate some kick panels and house them in there?

in the front doors and rear deck. just removing the old factory speakers and inserting new ones. will dremel out some room if needed.

Do you plan on going "on axis" with your mid woofers, or is space an issue and you need to go "off axis"

dont know what this means :mad:

As far as the tweeters go, where will they be placed? Sail panel? A pillar? Dash? YOu tell us? Or will they be housed down in the kicks?

id prefer to get coaxial speakers so i dont have to drill into my doors or dash too much

some new speakers ive been looking at are: jbl gto638 and boston acoustic sc65/sr65

thanks for the reply :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts