DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 acura TL's battery light has been going off and on even after I put in a new battery. When I bought the 12 in Sundown sub Z, the sales rep. said it was 1500 watts, but it's actually 2000 watts, I've been using a 1500 watt sundown amp, a capacitor, and a small battery, which now I realize I should be using a 2500 watt amp, but my question is, should I up grade my alternator to a high power alternator to be able to push all the power that my car is using? What else should I do to keep my system in the car running properly?

· Registered
1,157 Posts
Get a bigger battery. In fact get two agm xs or kinetik batteries at 2000 or higher and you should be fine.

Or just get one 3400. And make sure the big 3 / 4 is done with 0/1 gauge copper.

How does that z sound anyway? Is it all just spl or can hit smooth too?

· Registered
1,157 Posts
Thanks for the input, so what about the alternator? Should that be upgraded too right?
I wouldn’t - that’s expensive and a pain to do - especially when a battery appropriately sized will work just fine.

I had a 1300w sub amp and a p6 running 2ohms - I was well over 2k watts and I just used 2 agm batteries. One was a north star for starting the car and then I had an 1800 kinetik in the back. Unless I was driving and listening for hours, I never even had to charge them.

· Registered
1,157 Posts
Can you check to see if your voltage at the battery is dipping when you are running the amp at higher volumes? A digital multimeter (DMM) will be be sufficient to check this.
Good point. I forgot I always had one of these in my cig lighter to monitor voltage. This is essential.

Palumma 24W/4.8A Dual USB Car Charger, 12V to USB Outlet with Cigarette Lighter Voltage Meter LED/LCD Display Battery Low Voltage Warning (Black)
Amazon.com: Palumma 24W/4.8A Dual USB Car Charger, 12V to USB Outlet with Cigarette Lighter Voltage Meter LED/LCD Display Battery Low Voltage Warning (Black) : Cell Phones & Accessories

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.